• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint sheen vs light fastness/UV resistance

ABradley

Hi all, first post here. I've heard that higher gloss paints are more resistant to sunlight damage. I assume it is because a lot of the light is reflected before it has a chance to do a lot of damage. Of course all paint will eventually break down, but I'm wondering how much difference the sheen actually makes. Also, if I sand the paint for better adhesion of a glossy clearcoat, is the paint going to fade a lot quicker?

Thanks

ABradley

try using a UV clear for protection

That is my plan so far. I only make a few small signs, mostly for indoor use. I do mostly rustic chalkboard style signs that require a matte finish. Someone wants me to make a sidewalk sign, so my plan so far is to do a couple of glossy UV Clear coats, and then a light matte mist on top.

TimToad

That is my plan so far. I only make a few small signs, mostly for indoor use. I do mostly rustic chalkboard style signs that require a matte finish. Someone wants me to make a sidewalk sign, so my plan so far is to do a couple of glossy UV Clear coats, and then a light matte mist on top.

Given the longevity or lack thereof of most coffee shops, restaurants, etc. and relative low cost of your specialty type signs, creating bulletproof, multi-decade lasting sandwich board signs seems like overkill to me.

The deepness of the color and whether it is a more UV absorbent color like a purple, yellow, blue, or red is a bigger factor than the sheen in my experience. A good UV inhibiting clear coat can't hurt, but I find that many clearcoats without those properties actually act like little magnifying glasses and increase the speed of the fading or breakdown.

ABradley

Given the longevity or lack thereof of most coffee shops, restaurants, etc. and relative low cost of your specialty type signs, creating bulletproof, multi-decade lasting sandwich board signs seems like overkill to me.

The deepness of the color and whether it is a more UV absorbent color like a purple, yellow, blue, or red is a bigger factor than the sheen in my experience. A good UV inhibiting clear coat can't hurt, but I find that many clearcoats without those properties actually act like little magnifying glasses and increase the speed of the fading or breakdown.

You are probably right about overkill, but that is just the way I tend to do things. The client is an acquaintance and pays well, so I'm willing to go to a little extra trouble. The sign will be of the company logo, so it's a little more than a menu. I am going to stick with my plan of UV Gloss clear with a light matte coat on top to create a dull surface.

I was also curious about gloss vs UV exposure for future reference, so I appreciate your comments. I may land a commission of greater importance someday.

Thanks for your input guys!