Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint specs to give to customer for murals

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by bigben, Sep 10, 2019.

1. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    We do tons of murals and vinyls on painted drywall. I normally use the 3M paint test when I do my survey, but some customers are asking me for the detailed paint requirement. The only informations I've got from vinyl manufacturers is a ''contractor paint'' and avoid any ''easy cleaning'' agent or VOC. This is very vague.

Does anyone have a document with the specifications required for the paint and/or a particular paint/sealer to use?

Ideally, I would like to give my customer a document that tell them what to do and choose for their paint.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/346473O/5-37-application-to-walls.pdf

Page 8 has 3M recommendations. Basically boils down to they recommend Kilz brand primer and a semi-gloss paint with no anti graffiti additives.

"Laboratory tests using Pittsburgh Paints and SherwinWilliams Paints have provided acceptable film adhesion and removability characteristics on sound surfaces"

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I had this one. Actually, my 3m rep recommend the sherwin-williams proclassic but he could not tell me why. Someone else recommended a sealer like gardz made by zinsser.

4. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a similar conversation with our rep, he basically pointed me to that document and said there really are no guarantees. So whenever a customer asks us for recommendations, we tell them basically the same thing and always do a wall test. The best results I've had consistently was avoiding paint all together and applying directly to primer.

5. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    In my case, I had failure with install on primer directly. All manufacturers don't recommend to apply on primer direct.

6. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe it was a sealer, I'll have to ask the guys next time. These are usually for new restaurants opening up and it looks like primer based on where they stopped painting but I could be wrong.

7. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    for restaurants, they normally use a sealer effectively.

8. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Just recommend they coat the wall with Gardz sealer. Then it doesn't matter what kind of paint they use.