• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Vinyl Techniques

schlimmerkerl

For an indoor installation, if the exact color we are looking for is not available, what is a recommended paint? There are actually many good colors available as "art" (that is, graffiti) colors in art supply stores, but I'd have to test for good adhesion, durability, etc. Acrylics?

I think my main question is: is it better to paint the vinyl before cutting/weeding or after? Thanks very much.

visual800

We have in the past scuffed vinyl, then cut, sprayed base coat, cleared and then weeded. Its messy but works

rjssigns

I use automotive paint. If it's a small area your local auto paint supplier will make up spray cans. Before the age of digital printing I would "convert" the vinyl then cut. I used base/clear when converting or other products from House of Kolor. When I would airbrush on vinyl I cut the lettering/graphic first. Mainly used acrylic enamel toners for that type of work

Tony McD

Before I got a roland printer, I was using either auto touch up paints to match colors, or krylon fusion.
The krylon actually worked really well, and for small amounts I sprayed in in a cup and put it in an airbrush.

Cut vinyl first, spray and weed.
I did the weeding before the paint dried and sealed over the cut line.