• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paint vs vinyl

wildergraphics

My customer wants something that lasts a long time. It is going to be a sign for his ranch. I have chosen poly-metal, I think I might be either using the standard color of the metal or airbrushing a sunset on it, what would last longer? hand lettering with 1-shot or vinyl (oracal 651)??? Any input would be appreciated, :thankyou: Tracy

Pat Whatley

I'd paint out the whole panel instead of trusting the stock color. I've seen too many panels that faded prematurely to trust the stock paint long term (including an entire gas station that turned from red to light pink). Paint the sucker with an automotive enamel and be done with it, letter it with Oracal 851, then clearcoat the whole thing and it will be there for 20 years.

The only advantage I've seen of paint instead of vinyl (when done as above) is that 15 years from now when the vinyl starts to fail it looks horrible. When the painted lettering starts to fail it takes on an aged patina that has character.

wes70

I recommend doing as Pat stated. Your customer will have a sign that will last a very long time.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use cast vinyl if you want it to last. 651 is a calendared film not intended for long term.

SignosaurusRex

i'd paint out the whole panel instead of trusting the stock color. I've seen too many panels that faded prematurely to trust the stock paint long term (including an entire gas station that turned from red to light pink). Paint the sucker with an automotive enamel and be done with it, letter it with oracal 851, then clearcoat the whole thing and it will be there for 20 years.

The only advantage i've seen of paint instead of vinyl (when done as above) is that 15 years from now when the vinyl starts to fail it looks horrible. When the painted lettering starts to fail it takes on an aged patina that has character.

ditto

round man

15 years from now when the vinyl looks like hell they aren't gonna care how it was done they are just gonna ask "who" made that mess? Use paint mask if you aren't comfortable with a brush,......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
15 years from now when the vinyl looks like hell they aren't gonna care how it was done they are just gonna ask "who" made that mess? Use paint mask if you aren't comfortable with a brush,......

Ain't that the truth..................... :ROFLMAO:

The real funny part is, it will only take about 5 or 6 years, not 15.............. :Big Laugh

schramm

Paint it! I have signs painted that have been in corn fields for better then 15 years and the older they get the better they look, you can never say the same for vinyl!