• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painted Substrate?

Tagdog

I am still new at this and need some basic questions answered. Driving around town I see a lot of signs ( Mostly 4' x 8' ) that are painted MDO with vinyl lettering on them. My question is that wouldn't it be easier to just print everything on one large piece of vinyl and put it on the substrate. Is the industry moving in this direction? Is there a reason to paint the substrate and then stick on the letters. Sounds like a lot of extra work. Most of the signs I was looking at were older. What does the Forum do?
Signs Up

Bill Modzel

Yes, it is easier to print out one big piece of vinyl.
Yes, the industry is moving in that direction or actually one step further and printing the sheet on a flatbed UV curable printer.
The reason to paint the substrate and vinyl letter is because you don't already own a printer or have a bunch of old vinyl to use up.

coyote

painted and properly sealed MDO and vinyl will outlast a digitally printed surface-most folks want to get years of use out of their MDO panels---I'm sure at some point that print will replace vinyl-if the longevity issue can be resolved.

Don't take it all away from us, please....
Carol

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'll tell you one thing...painting a sheet of mdo on horses that are too tall is not an easy thing to do...especially when the boobs get in the way...any other ladies have that problem...

oh, and i second what coyote said...if i don't use mdo, i use luster or alumalite with cut letters...not to omuch printing...especially since most are single or two color designs