• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

painting aluminum extrusion

gabagoo

I need to supply a customer with a forst green aluminum extrusion. Not having spray facilities what way can I spray the frame without fear of failure with paint peeling off? Spray bombs? One shot?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new can ?? If you're ordering it, they should be able to paint it for you.

If its a used can and you can't spray it properly, than I'd scuff up the area with 600 grit and roller coat the can in two coats.

Seriously, rattle cans are not for this kind of application.

Marlene

clean, scuffed and aluminum oxide primer. it's better to paint two thin layers than one thick one. it helps keep it from peeling.

artbot

remember to paint immediately (and i mean immediately) after prep. the aluminum will build an oxide layer that will multiply after painting. paint does not "peel" off of aluminum. it is pushed off by oxidation. just because it looks "silver" doesn't mean that it is clean. if it's going to endure harsh conditions, i'd just drop them off at a powder coater.

gabagoo

OK guys,,, great advice. I will search for the spray primer...lowes? HD? or is this a specialty spray? I am using a new mill finish.
This particular supplier does not spray the frames. It is a small 4 x 6 sign.

petrosgraphics

mathews makes a primer for raw aluminum. it works great.. all you have to do is wipe the alum. with lac thinner or denatured alcohol, get the oils off, and brush this on..
it never really dries, it gets to a point where it is almost dry, like gold size, at that point
you can paint it with any enamel, brush or spray, never had a problem with the paint not
sticking to it... it goes on clear, stays clear.... mathews paint bond

John L

Many NAPA's carry etching primer in both rattle can and quart. Otherwise lookup a local automotive paint supplier.