Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painting aluminum extrusion

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I need to supply a customer with a forst green aluminum extrusion. Not having spray facilities what way can I spray the frame without fear of failure with paint peeling off? Spray bombs? One shot?

Tags:
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Zinc Oxide primer in a spray can first, then spray with whatever. Just make sure the aluminum is cleaned well.

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yep - cleaned, scuffed, then degreased...and possible acid etched...

4. sagesign

sagesign Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Indiana
    I've had good luck with spray bombs. You need to use a self etching primer bomb first.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is this a new can ?? If you're ordering it, they should be able to paint it for you.

If its a used can and you can't spray it properly, than I'd scuff up the area with 600 grit and roller coat the can in two coats.

Seriously, rattle cans are not for this kind of application.

6. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    clean, scuffed and aluminum oxide primer. it's better to paint two thin layers than one thick one. it helps keep it from peeling.

7. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    remember to paint immediately (and i mean immediately) after prep. the aluminum will build an oxide layer that will multiply after painting. paint does not "peel" off of aluminum. it is pushed off by oxidation. just because it looks "silver" doesn't mean that it is clean. if it's going to endure harsh conditions, i'd just drop them off at a powder coater.

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    good idea on the p/c!

9. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Auto paint supplier has a Aluminum cleaner before priming. a must do

10. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    OK guys,,, great advice. I will search for the spray primer...lowes? HD? or is this a specialty spray? I am using a new mill finish.
    This particular supplier does not spray the frames. It is a small 4 x 6 sign.

11. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    mathews makes a primer for raw aluminum. it works great.. all you have to do is wipe the alum. with lac thinner or denatured alcohol, get the oils off, and brush this on..
    it never really dries, it gets to a point where it is almost dry, like gold size, at that point
    you can paint it with any enamel, brush or spray, never had a problem with the paint not
    sticking to it... it goes on clear, stays clear.... mathews paint bond

12. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Many NAPA's carry etching primer in both rattle can and quart. Otherwise lookup a local automotive paint supplier.