• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting black on polycarbonate

Almostgraphics

I’m looking to do a 14’x5’ polycarbonate backlit sign. The background will be non trans black with printed translucent copy.
I’m thinking the best way to do this might be to cut removable stencils then paint the sign, remove the stencils and install the new vinyl in place of the stencils.

Any recommendations or suggestions for paint type or a better process
I’d prefer to roll the paint on.

Thanks

Last edited:

Almostgraphics

That’s not an option on this one.
It’s for a friend and I don’t have enough room on price to sub out.
I would normally just lay down black vinyl on it but only have capability to cut 48” and being 60”x 168” I’m thinking painting might be a better easier option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjssigns

That’s not an option on this one.
It’s for a friend and I don’t have enough room on price to sub out.
I would normally just lay down black vinyl on it but only have capability to cut 48” and being 60”x 168” I’m thinking painting might be a better easier option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got it. There are specific paints used for backlit but I haven't been around that stuff for decades so don't remember.

Billct2

Used to paint backlit faces but used specific paint for polycarb. From what I understood the paint was designed to "flex" since the face moves and shrinks/expands. You need to be sure the paint is good for use on plastics. But why not just use black vinyl and seam it? Seam won't be visible from 10 feet away.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the background is non-transparent, they could use anything. It won't show up from 2' away.

Anyway, how can you price something out...... and be too low to do it the correct way and too low to do it the easy way ?? You cannot paint poly, if you don't have the right setup. Grip Flex is no longer available.

Can you do this ??

Keep in mind, these paints ARE translucent.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I would just use black vinyl, why make it harder than it needs to be.
Agreed. Just panel it, no one will see the overlap seem in the black vinyl once it's installed.

We used to back spray illuminated faces, but it was probably 20 years ago the last time we did. One thing you need is a lighted rack to mount the polycarb on. That way you can see where you're too light/thin with the paint coverage.

Matthews does make a "flex" additive for their paint, but I don't think we've ever used it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All these suggestions. Without knowing how large of a piece of vinyl the OP can cut, how will they pre-cut the lettering outta 60" piece of material ??