• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Borders?

washingtonsignguy

I am curious how others are painting their borders on flat substrates. I normally just use masking tape and if i have a weird curve i print a mask from vinyl. It works but is kind of time consuming for what your trying to do. And as long as i peel it at the right timing (semitacky) it will look good. I have tried doing it by hand and it doesnt turn out well, maybe i am not using the right brush though. Any suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few ways..........

Painters' tape.
Masking tape.
Vinyl scraps.
Scotch tape.
Ruler and a quill.
Ruler and a striper.
Mahl stick and brush.

A roller can be substituted for any of the above procedures.

Just use vinyl for the stripe itself and don't bother painting at all.

Jillbeans

I usually use first fineline tape for the inner edges then masking tape along the outside of that, then paint using a 1" Foamie. You have to peel the tape up just so or you get a fine spatter pattern.
I have also drawn lines with a ruler and stabilo and used a lettering brush for more high-end pieces.
Love....Jill

Service Sign Co

A fast way to do this (a border) is with a soft hair fitch, get a small piece of wood or rigid material and butt it against the sign with fitch resting along the side of your material (scrap 2x4) and pull it the length of the sign.

washingtonsignguy

Thanks for all the tips everyone, sounds like the tape is the more common way to go. Thats basically what iam doing, I thought maybe there was some special tool i was missing out on. :smile: doesnt hurt to ask right.