• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Brick

piccadillysigns

Hi Guy's

I have been asked to re paint over some old painted Letters on a brick wall, and wonder if I could pick up some tips as this is a little out of my experience!

Wire Brush the old paint off leaving enough to use as a guide, Clean wall, Prime With Latex, Paint With Latex, to seal or not to seal?
Client would like everything just the same just repainted. Brick and mortar are in good shape. 36' x 36"

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 172

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's about all ya can do. Remember, plenty of face masks and close fitting ones.

You'll need some form of blowing the powder/dust away. Do you have a gas run portable air compressor or a generator and take a compressor along ??

I know a lot of people are into Latex paints for just about everything, but I'd still do the top coats in Ronan or 1Shot paints. The durability for the most part is far longer.

By the looks of it, it's along a pavement. You might need special permits to have possible lead paints being removed without protective covering.

Start early in the morning, cause as the day wears on, the paint will dry in the heal f your brush... especially with latex.

ChicagoGraphics

I never heard of using latex on a brick wall before, but in these times today anything is possible I guess. I would use 1 Shot lettering enamels.

visual800

latex flat is what I would do and then top coat with high gloss like a PPG performance or a rust skat paint. one shot is a definite no!..at least for me

Scott Reynolds

Dont know about a wire brush, I'd go to town on it with a high pressure spray washer, (warsher if your from KS) and leave to let it dry overnight. Then sweep the dryed paint flakes the next day. The water might help with the dry lead paint flakes floating about in the air.

Dumb question from a dumb dude. Why not use a elastomeric masonry paint to paint a brick or block wall. I see a lot of people talking about one shot and other "sign" paints. Just asking because I dont know anything about painting lettering on a brick wall.

Jillbeans

Clean as suggested, then coat out using Ronan Block Out White.
Use fitches for the outlines and cheap china bristle brushes for the innards.
Then use Ronan lettering enamels in the colors of your choice.
Make yourself a painter's bucket to hang off your ladder with an S hook.
Get a regular tin bucket, in it keep a soup can of paint, a rag, and a can of turpentine to add as needed, and your brushes.
Don't forget to put down a drop cloth, because you will get drips.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

My 2 cents

Wire brush or pressure washer.

Prime... latex or enamel you choose both are outstanding I use SW for latex, Ronan for enamel ( this large of letter ) latex

Letter again latex or enamel again to me larger signs get latex.

Note.. try to change the bottom copy to all yellow to read better or at least to read

__customers parking at rear... instead of __customers __at rear

Craig Sjoquist

Note ..pressure washing may remove so much you may lose layout. unless careful

Scaffold works well and safe or 2 ladders and plank

Like Jill suggested buckets that have all your goodies needed you can pull up with a rope and hook.

If using enamel I also use Ronan UV Aquathane clear coat if paying extra, also on latex or I just charge for it normally now ..cheapo customers I do not clear coat.

Latex now days are awesome Sherman Williams Latex paints have a very bright white and one customers ask for on signs, besides long lasting, easy to paint with on rough surfaces.

Get high quality latex house brushes the 1" will work well for trim outline then fill with larger..Another option is stiff smaller artist brush less then 1" larger then 1/4" depends what you are comfortable with and how accurate you want to be.

Arcola murals 100% painted with latex no clear coat... will last 10 - 20 years easy ... Nova colors....you see the detail that can be achieved and brightness.

Attachments

• arcola 2 143.JPG
    arcola 2 143.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 140
  • arcola 2 084.JPG
    arcola 2 084.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 171

round man

After 40 years of painting walls on at least a monthly basis, I would suggest after wirebrushing the copy to seal the copy with a clear transparent masonry sealer. this will prevent the chipping you see taking place on the original and act as a clear primer,...