• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting HDU

skyhigh

Can you prime and paint "Signfoam" with a spray can?
I have a small project & I have the perfect match in a rattle can. I really hate the thoughts of mixing paint and the cleanup (spray gun), if I can get an acceptable finish out of a spray can.

guess I can give it a try.....but thought I'd ask here first.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I sprayed some already, don't remember the brand of HDU, but it sort of melted it a little. Now, I always prime it and then any top coat should work.

Try the back or a little off-fall piece and test it.

visual800

paint out of rattle cans will not last the test of time. I certainly would not advise it for long term signage in the future. I know how frustrating it can be to have the perfect color right there you need, but next time I would have some mixed

skyhigh

paint out of rattle cans will not last the test of time.

I've never really used them, other than a couple home projects over the years. I've never heard (or expected) a short term durability.

Anyone else want to comment on this?

SignManiac

Well first off, your final finish will only be as good as the prep work you put into it. I would definitely prime and fill your HDU as it's very porous. Once you have it babies *** smooth, then use your rattle can paint. Preferably use same primer and paint system. If you want to extend the durability use the same paint systems clear coat, most all of them have one.

For a small part you should be alright and I can see why you would want to go the rattle can way. As far as HDU melting from paint, no way... Solvent based paint on Styrofoam yes, but not HDU. The stuff isn't affected by solvents. I've use lacquer based primer on the stuff for years and that stuff is hot.

SignosaurusRex

Well first off, your final finish will only be as good as the prep work you put into it. I would definitely prime and fill your HDU as it's very porous. Once you have it babies *** smooth, then use your rattle can paint. Preferably use same primer and paint system. If you want to extend the durability use the same paint systems clear coat, most all of them have one.

For a small part you should be alright and I can see why you would want to go the rattle can way. As far as HDU melting from paint, no way... Solvent based paint on Styrofoam yes, but not HDU. The stuff isn't affected by solvents. I've use lacquer based primer on the stuff for years and that stuff is hot.

:thumb: +2

SD&F

With any HDU, you should prime, paint, and clear coat if possible. That will atleast give you some longevity.

skyhigh

Well first off, your final finish will only be as good as the prep work you put into it. I would definitely prime
your HDU as it's very porous. Once you have it babies *** smooth, then use your rattle can paint. Preferably use same primer and paint system. If you want to extend the durability use the same paint systems clear coat, most all of them have one.

Bob, whats your "fill" of choice?