• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting OmegaBond

Reaction GFX

I've searched and searched and I'm just not finding definitive answers...

We're refacing an existing un-lit monument sign by screwing 3mm OmegaBond panels to both sides of the box. Each side is approximately 72.5" wide by 98.25" high, so each face will consist of two panels butted up to each other, one 60" x 72.5" and one 38.25" x 72.5". There will be a printed and laminated logo as well as some 220 vinyl lettering applied to each face. Here's my issue: the customer wants the background to be a custom PMS green color. If these signs were a bit smaller, I would have probably just printed the entire thing on my Epson GS6000, but it really struggles with large areas of solid color. I'd much rather paint the background color on the panels, but I've never painted any aluminum composites before. I've done some custom automotive painting in the past with great results (motorcycles, actually), but I don't really have access to a spray booth, nor does my employer have a proper compressor or spray gun. I also don't want to spend a ton of time on this. I'm leaning towards scuffing the panels and rolling them, just not sure what type of paint would work best that I can have custom mixed and won't cost a fortune. Latex is probably not a good idea if I'm applying vinyl, correct?

ANY guidance/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Marlene

you can you a Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint that is for metal. you should be able to bring over a Pantone book and have them match it. just know that some blues and I think greens can be hard to match as the bases maek it a little muddy. I wouldn't use a laxen. another option would be to take it to a local body shop and have them spray it as that would be your best option

MikePro

omegabond comes in colors too.
color-green.png
color-ivy-green_0.png

Billct2

What Marlene said and I would also buy green panels (as per Mike's suggestion), easier to cover and in the future scratches will be less noticeable. Rolling it is OK, spraying it is better, even if you just rent one for the day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're not capable of doing it and already think it might be a hassle and not worth the time, effort or money nor do you want to rent the necessary equipment or sub it out to someone who knows how, then just cut your panels the other direction at 36.25" x 98.25" and just cover it with vinyl.

There comes a point when you either hafta do it the right way or tell the customer this is all you can offer and tell them to pick a green from one of the various manufactures.

Unless you know what you're doing, painting these things sounds like it's beyond your capabilities.

Reaction GFX

If you're not capable of doing it and already think it might be a hassle and not worth the time, effort or money nor do you want to rent the necessary equipment or sub it out to someone who knows how, then just cut your panels the other direction at 36.25" x 98.25" and just cover it with vinyl.

There comes a point when you either hafta do it the right way or tell the customer this is all you can offer and tell them to pick a green from one of the various manufactures.

Unless you know what you're doing, painting these things sounds like it's beyond your capabilities.

I wouldn't say it's beyond my capabilities--I've painted a few custom motorcycles/choppers in my garage that turned out pretty awesome...detailed designs, metal flake, multiple layers/colors... What it is beyond is the customer's budget, the already quoted price, the time frame, and the available equipment here at the shop. (I'm not doing these in my garage, nor am I bringing my huge compressor to the shop.)

I'm looking into covering the panels with vinyl at this point.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say it's beyond my capabilities--I've painted a few custom motorcycles/choppers in my garage that turned out pretty awesome...detailed designs, metal flake, multiple layers/colors... What it is beyond is the customer's budget, the already quoted price, the time frame, and the available equipment here at the shop. (I'm not doing these in my garage, nor am I bringing my huge compressor to the shop.)

I'm looking into covering the panels with vinyl at this point.

Whether you can physically do it or you did some in the past, but can't do them this time..... you or your shop simply don't have the ability to produce it that way, so it doesn't really matter and is useless baggage at this point. That's why I suggested floating vinyl on it and moving on.

Explaining to the customer you can't paint because of this or that will look completely dumb on your part, therefore, you offer them what your shop can produce and they either go with it or go somewhere else. I was not saying YOU personally couldn't do it, but in general, when someone can't do something.... point the customer in a direction with something you can do and quite easily so y'all make money.