• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting on Pre-cast concrete

VA Sign Geek

I am working on a quote for another parking deck that has a lot of wall graphics, ie. level designation, directional, etc.
I have done these in the past but with not much success. Does anyone have a proven/successful way to paint on precast concrete?

MikePro

welcome to signs101!

Scott paint solutions:
unlike stucco, precast units such as lintels, window sills and tilt slab walls are of a much higher density than stucco and typically are extremely smooth and can contain surface contaminants related to form release agents, lubricants, grease, etc. The key to successful painting of precast cement is surface preparation. Just because the surface feels dry does not mean it is ready for paint. To increase chances for success, do the following:

1. Pressure wash the surface with clean water at no less than 2500 psi. If the surface feels greasy or gummy, utilize a commercial degreasing agent prior to pressure washing.

2. Areas of whitish efflorescence deposits exuding from the surface should be scrubbed with a solution of 10% muriatic acid and water, and then rinsed and allowed to dry.

3. After cleaning, check the surface over. Areas of a hard glaze, producing extreme slickness, may require sand blasting before paint can properly adhere.

4. MOST IMPORTANT! - Apply one coat Scott Aquaseal Latex Surface Conditioner White #692 to all prepared surfaces and let dry.
Due to the density of precast panels, it can take a much longer period of time for trapped moisture to exude out, which sometimes causes late-appearing efflorescence. The paint does not cause that effect. Scrubbing with the muriatic acid solution and touching up will repair the situation.

A good test to make sure the surface is dry is to tape down a 2’x2’ piece of clear plastic and check for condensation after 12-24 hours. If there is condensation under the plastic, the concrete is not dry enough to paint.
WARNING: Without priming with a high adhesion primer such as Scott Aquaseal, avoiding spot peeling on tilt slab construction cannot be guaranteed.

That's A Wrap!

Have you thought about using 3m's ij8624 textured surface vinyl. Makes removal a lot easier than paint.

Edit: I just noticed that the vinyl only has a 6 month outdoor durability. Definitely not a permanent solution.

OldPaint

just an opinion, before you pressure wash(which will drive oil and contaminates into the concrete, which will come back to the surface later)i would DEGREASE 1st then pressure wash. also they make this paint for CONCRETE. i would paint the background with it THEN apply latex paint to that. i painted my shop floor with with 100% solids, 2 part epoxy, and CLEANING THE FLOOR of all contaminates, to accept it was the PRIME DIRECTIVE of those who had done it before me.

visual800

I have washed it with degreaser if its dirty ...taped it off and painted with block filler, light coat if its smooth heavy if its old. than came back and started painting wth regular latex, no problems