• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

painting perforated vinyl

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
I have a job that I'm thinking about taking on that requires painting a perforated vinyl for a channel letter set. This gets placed over a white vinyl for a day/night effect. Any potential hazards with painting vinyl?

DesireeM

I'm curious why you need to paint the vinyl? It's made to be printed on so why not just do that? The paint is much thicker and would block the holes of the perf I would think but I've never done it so who knows...

What colour do you need it to be? 3M sells a day/night perforated vinyl in black, blue and printable. Also if it's a channel letter why would you need a white vinyl layer? You would just use white acrylic for the faces and save yourself the extra step.

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
Thanks. I came up with same conclusions after doing a bit more research. The job specs are not practical for those reasons.

ggsigns

It can be painted with Mathews Paint using their flex additive no problem. But it does clog the holes. You need to brush or blow gun the holes a bit

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
Can the vinyl really have the backing peeling off and then rolled onto a sheet of acrylic and not crack or flake after being painted? It seems like printing would be ideal but the plans do call to have them painted exact same color as the return.....

Can the vinyl really have the backing peeling off and then rolled onto a sheet of acrylic and not crack or flake after being painted? It seems like printing would be ideal but the plans do call to have them painted exact same color as the return.....
Take a pantone swatch book and match the paint with a pantone. You might have to tweak it to get it exact. Then you can print away

sardocs

I have painted lots of vinyl using Krylon Fusion spray cans. We used to do all kinds of fades and krinkle effects on cast vinyl before we got a printer.