• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting with Latex

artincline

Hello all my fellow sign geeks...
I have an odd question to ask, I am just looking to see if anyone has ever used this technique, and if so... how successful or not was it?

HERE IT IS........

I have a routed sign, with the lettering and border hogged out. I asked for my painter to paint all the "downs" with black latex, and then clear coat for finish on cedar. My little Jedi decided to take a squeeze bottle and "fill in" the "downs" with the latex paint, which has in turn literally filled the "downs" with about 3/16" of black paint... and I personally have NEVER seen this done before, I have always just painted them before, being careful no to leak any onto the surface... anyway, the Jedi claims that this will dry fine, and he will then clear coat the whole thing...
I just envision this method scabbing over and never completely drying inside and eventually mold and rot will set in...
ANYONE who can help me out with this is a GREAT HELP!!!!

Cheers & :thankyou:Thanks for playin'
Stacey

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've heard of others using this method, but for me, I'd never do it for the very reason you mentioned. One thing you don't want to do is clear it.... at least not in the next few months or so. That paint will dry, but it will dry from the top and a little from underneath, but it will turn to goo, if you seal it in with a clear.

Personally, I would wipe as much of it away as I could right now... even if you had to scrap it out. It's worse on sandblasted jobs where the valleys really never dry, but if you remove it, you might have to sand a little, but you'd have a safer job to put out with your name on it.... reputation.

artincline

Gino... Thank you so much!
I kind of knew I was right, but always feel so much better when someone else can back me up!!
Thank you again... I owe ya!
Stacey

Craig Sjoquist

Depends it will dry fine, yes it will dry but how many days ??
Will it soak in and not create the orange peel effect.??
Will it dry enough when clear coated no orange peel effect.??
Gino says wipe it of do it now add damp rag if that helps. let it dry repaint if necessary.

Billct2

Problem is you're going to leave the face clear, which means getting any paint on the face will ruin it.
I would never use that technique.
What are you going to clear it with?
I would usually use an oil based penetrating sealer, which needs to be redone evry few years. If it has to be a varnish type clear then a two part marine clear is best.
Good luck.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Painting with squeeze bottles?

The thick paint will look like dried cracked mud in a short amount of time.

Si Allen

Next time ... cover the surface with vinyl before routing. Then spray with your black ... peel the vinyl, and you are ready to clear coat it.