Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion Pairing different brand of Vinyl and Laminate

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Netter26, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Netter26

Netter26 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Iowa
    Hello, so I've almost gone through a roll of Arlon DPF4500 GLX and I have close to 1/4 roll of the Arlon 3420 Laminate left. I'm switching to Oracal 3165RA and the 210 Laminate for short term use stuff. Do you think I can get away with pairing the 3420 laminate and the 3165RA until the 3420 is used up?

Thank you

Tags:
  2. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    How short is short term. I would say you shouldn't have any issues for a golf tournament or something similar. I wouldn't trust it for anything longer then a week outside though. You just don't know.

3. Netter26

Netter26 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Iowa
    I was thinking maybe for race cars, since they get beat up anyways. Just don't want it to go to waste. But it may be the best to use the 210 Lam and save the 3420 for the short short term use. Thank you the input.

4. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Don't do it.......Just don't. I have tried it in a pinch, in the past, and immediately regretted it.
    Customer had a Go Kart, and wanted something cheap. I used the last of a roll of 210 on some house brand vinyl.
    As soon as the customer got home, and put it on, he called me, and said the laminate started peeling.

He was a friend of mine, I said "You said you wanted something cheap".
    We laughed about it, and I redone them with the right stuff.

5. Netter26

Netter26 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Iowa
    Great, thank you for the advice. I'll stick with the 210 Lam

6. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Why is everyone saying not to do it? That Arlon is perfectly fine and maybe more durable than the 210. Mix away. I can't see any issue there. We mix stuff all the time. I only use 3M laminates and it's fine on any vinyl nearly that we put it on.