• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Panaflex/Flex Face

Caleb Smith

Hey everyone, just seeing if anyone knows a place near Chattanooga that is reputable and does flex face/panaflex (not sure if those are the same thing, just two different names I have been told from people) signs.

I have gotten two quotes locally with making the new signs and install being $3,500 and $5,000.

The signs I had taken out were 67" X 140" with about 8" extra of overhang under the tensioning clips so overall dimensions were closer to 75" X 148". Not sure if my quotes were in the ballpark of what that size would cost or if it could be a rip off.

Local/within 80ish miles would be preferable unless shipping isn't an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any tips!

Caleb Smith

Hey everyone, just seeing if anyone knows a place near Chattanooga that is reputable and does flex face/panaflex (not sure if those are the same thing, just two different names I have been told from people) signs.

I have gotten two quotes locally with making the new signs and install being $3,500 and $5,000.

The signs I had taken out were 67" X 140" with about 8" extra of overhang under the tensioning clips so overall dimensions were closer to 75" X 148". Not sure if my quotes were in the ballpark of what that size would cost or if it could be a rip off.

Local/within 80ish miles would be preferable unless shipping isn't an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any tips!

Forgot to mention there are two sides to this sign so it would be two separate signs for that price.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds fair to me. I did 2 over the summer at 12' x 12' and with installation (about 45' up in the air) was a total of $4,400.

Caleb Smith

Sounds fair to me. I did 2 over the summer at 12' x 12' and with installation (about 45' up in the air) was a total of $4,400.

Dang that seems like a great deal for that size and being that high up. Also forgot to mention mine is only 20' up at its highest point.

OhioSigns

I did my first flex face about 6 months ago and it took longer for install than I thought it would. It was a 5x10, double sided, 20' to the top. I quoted and charged $2,500. If I had to do it over again it would have been at least $3,250.

One tip is to find out what system it is and buy extra clips. The one I did was a Signcomp system and some of the plastic clips were broken.

Caleb Smith

I did my first flex face about 6 months ago and it took longer for install than I thought it would. It was a 5x10, double sided, 20' to the top. I quoted and charged $2,500. If I had to do it over again it would have been at least $3,250.

One tip is to find out what system it is and buy extra clips. The one I did was a Signcomp system and some of the plastic clips were broken.

Did you make the new sign yourself or have a company do it?

I had the old one taken down and removed all the clips already. It has the 3M style clips that slide over a small metal bar. Cleaning up all the threads on them and putting new nylon lock nuts on it cause the old ones are really bad. Took measurements and figured once I get a new face made I can set it up like the old one for the installer to save some time and maybe some $$$.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are you a sign company or an end user? Those bids don't sound bad. I'd be at the higher end though Doesn't matter if a sign is 20' or 40' high.. that wouldn't change the cost in my book. Once you get over 45-50' then the cost goes up because the amount of shops that have equipment that large get fewer. Those are considered hi-rises.

Caleb Smith

Are you a sign company or an end user? Those bids don't sound bad. I'd be at the higher end though Doesn't matter if a sign is 20' or 40' high.. that wouldn't change the cost in my book. Once you get over 45-50' then the cost goes up because the amount of shops that have equipment that large get fewer. Those are considered hi-rises.

I am the end user. Not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum or not, just saw it was about pricing and thought it would be a good place to start. Is there a range for average price/sqft for this style sign?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I am the end user. Not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum or not, just saw it was about pricing and thought it would be a good place to start. Is there a range for average price/sqft for this style sign?

If there is I don't use one. I bid based on the job. Do you research on each sign company and look at their past work, like signs they've done years ago, not just recent stuff. Call the businesses that bought those signs from them and ask them how the process went for them. Ask questions about material and production methods. There are different ways and different methods to making signs. If I'm 20% more but you get 100% life of the sign, that is the smart move. I get way too many phone calls from people who went with a cheap bid and their sign lasted 3-4 years and they wonder why it failed so quickly. Talk to the $5k bid and ask them what makes them better. They should educate you as to why they are higher and then you can make a more informed decision. And ask for Certificate of Insurance and if they are licensed and bonded in the city you live in (if that is a requirement)

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Hmm, are you a sign shop, doing your own sign ?? Or an end-user DIY ??

Caleb Smith

Hmm, are you a sign shop, doing your own sign ?? Or an end-user DIY ??

I guess I could have explained better. I own a gym and am having the sign out front redone. I had the panaflex sign that was out front taken down already by a guy I was referred to from a couple places that does sign maintenance so I could get the measurements for what size new sign I would need in my quotes.

Pending how much he would charge me to put one back up or how much a company that makes the sign would charge me for the sign + install will be how I determine how I will go about this. However with everything Texas_Signmaker has said I will probably be asking a few more questions to the people that have already quoted me.

So far for the quotes nobody has measured the sign, they have just gone off of photos I have sent them.

that’s another reason I was seeing if anyone knew anybody that makes them around my area because I already have the number of the guy that can do the install.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you should've been up front about coming in the back door of a place you do not belong.

Well, I wish you good luck with your sign and sign guy, but this is a place for professional sign people, not customers. People like you are not really welcomed here. Getting information like this is not kosher. I know you wanna get the best deal you can, but just imagine, if I nickeled and dimed you to death on all of your equipment, your cleanliness and instructors, then tried to convince you you aren't doing things the way someone else is.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ortwein Signs is good and I've used them before.

Most companies will bid without going out and measuring ... we dont like wasting time with shoppers until they bite or order a "site survey"

Caleb Smith

Yes, you should've been up front about coming in the back door of a place you do not belong.

Well, I wish you good luck with your sign and sign guy, but this is a place for professional sign people, not customers. People like you are not really welcomed here. Getting information like this is not kosher. I know you wanna get the best deal you can, but just imagine, if I nickeled and dimed you to death on all of your equipment, your cleanliness and instructors, then tried to convince you you aren't doing things the way someone else is.

Well thanks for the good luck. Not really trying to nickel and dime just wondering if those seem like reasonable quotes being $1500 different in price and the guy I was referred to told me some places may just make them and sub contract out install so he would be willing to do that.

Ortwein Signs is good and I've used them before.

Most companies will bid without going out and measuring ... we dont like wasting time with shoppers until they bite or order a "site survey"

Sounds good thanks for the info I’ll check them out for sure! Just followed them on Instagram and looks like they do a ton of work around here

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Best bet is to deal with a local vendor if you are not a reseller. I didn't read all the posts here and came in at the end of this posting.

My apologies...I didn't realize based on the original post that you were an end user here.

Last edited: