• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Panel Saw Kit (that works!)

CropMarks

Hello... The other day, in the final showdown with my table saw that I'm pretty sure is alive and hates me, I thought "I'VE HAD IT!!!! I NEED A PANEL SAW THAT CAN MAKE A GOOD SQUARE CUT!!!!". Problem is, I lost the treasure map to my hidden bags of money that I buried in the back yard. I then stumbled upon a site that sells panel saw kits. I bought one after seeing the video... put it together with the lumber we bought and.... BOOM! It works and I have a panel saw for under $450 usd. :)

http://panelsawsrus.com/

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 450

tsgstl

Awesome! My dad wanted to help me build one similar before. I ended up with a used safety speed cut for under $1000
are you cutting on carpet? I was forced to do that for a bit, it sux

Congrats I'm sure you will enjoy that bad boy even more since you made it.

CropMarks

Thanks! It is carpet... but we've hooked up a shop vac to it now. The owner of the panel saw kit place helped us with suggestions on how to hook one up that will get about 90% of the dust. I'm just happy I can make a straight square cut now! The thing that sent me over the edge was the two boards that were 12" x 48" that took me 2 hours to cut. First on our worthless table saw... then clamping a straightedge onto the boards and cutting them with a circular saw. --- but now... I'm sitting here cutting straight boards with a fancy drink with a little umbrella in it! :)

CropMarks

Thank you all very much... the guy who runs the kit company is a pretty smart guy. We got to talking for a minute and I guess he is also a engineer for Boeing and he worked on the B2. All the parts were really nice. The part that you attach the circular saw (and the other one for the router attachment) on was CNC'd really well. - And yes.... the jug of water that we are using as a counterweight was an old empty jug of adhesive remover filled with the finest water that money can buy from the Grand River (my pinky is in the air). We are hooking up a shop vac and made a little wheel thingy (tech term) for the hose to ride up and down on.

Attachments

• vac hose.jpg
    vac hose.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 370

Out There

Hmm..got me interested.

How clean is the cut on the back side? With the saw blade being elevated it seems it might tear out the back a bit.

CropMarks

Hmm..got me interested.

How clean is the cut on the back side? With the saw blade being elevated it seems it might tear out the back a bit.

I will have to look around for any wood scraps that we cut. My partner accidentally broke a part on the circular saw and the only thing I've cut so far is plastics. The circular saw breaking was not the fault of panel system.... it was us trying to tighten something on the actual saw. Here are a couple of picts of the plastics.... with the correct blade, the cut is really nice!

Attachments

• pvc cut.jpg
    pvc cut.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 330

CropMarks

Hmm..got me interested.

(Out There) - Here is a picture of a piece of plywood that I cut. Yes... there is a little bit of a burn, but that was my fault.... I didn't bring the saw down all the way, I came back up and then went down again. But, it is really clean and works great. I would have to guess that it's all in the blade you choose to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_2964[1].jpg
    IMG_2964[1].jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 329

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Cool system!

Also, make sure you have only the bare minimum of blade extending past the material you're cutting - that will help prevent binding and burn (especially on wood - thinner material isn't such a big deal).

CropMarks

Took an extra shop vac attachment (actually it came from a dirt devil vacuum) and heated it up and molded it to fit the front of the circular saw. I guess mounting it that way will get more dust than from the back.

You have no idea how good it feels to be able to cut a straight line.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 368