• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paneling Backlit Sign

JFERG90

Good Afternoon,

I 10'W x 8'H backlit sign that a customer wants redone. There design is full colour and covers the entire sign face. My question is if I panel it, when it is backlit will the overlapping seem show through?

If so how would I go about paneling such a sign without that happening.

Appreciate any help

JF.

J Hill Designs

yes, a seam will show, but at that size, Im thinking the sign is in the air a ways, so it will be pretty much invisible.

you can a) design around the panelling (dark colored divider bar at panel seam)
b) outsource the print to someone with a 8'+ printer
c) seam it as small as possible (1/8" or so)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A sign that size, also is gonna probably be somewhat high in the air and exposed to quite a bit of sunlight. Do they realize the sign will probably fade in no time at all..... especially if certain colors are used ??

JFERG90

The customer understands about fading, but what would you consider to be (no time at all)
The top of the sign is only about 20 feet in the air so it is not as high as you would think.

JF.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to what colors are being used [and in combination of making other colors] and what type ink is being used.... anywhere from 2 to 6 years.

Remember, if many of the colors have magenta in them composing reds, oranges, pinks, greens, certain blues.... they all use a great deal of magenta and if you have a six color machine, light magenta will fade even faster if the printer's technology or profiling uses more light than regular.

JFERG90

I run a Roland VS-540 (eco-solve ink). Most of the design is black and why we are contemplating how we will put it together. Cut vinyl is an option
2 to 6 years is within the timeframe I gave them as far as fading.
I appreciate the quick replies

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In that case, I'd just make 2pcs 48.25" x 120" and overlap that 1/4" in the middle. The person obviously doesn't care about anything being seen.

Black backlit just never made any sense to me. I know it's what the customer wants.... or thinks he wants, but just think about it a minute.

You have a backLIT sign which is powered with High Output lamps so it can be seen for quite some distance, especially at night and you.... or whomever, makes an all black sign so it doesn't light up anymore. It just sounds totally self-defeating. At close quarters like in an airport, a bank or a mall, I can understand it's use, but outside.... nope, not at all.

Last edited: