• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

panels matching...

msenjur

Hello!

This week we did this van. One side was done with 3 panels...

And, i have two questions..

First, we start at the top, on whole width of panel. Then we proceed down, to the bottom. When we were doing second pannel, we have to match 1. and 2. pannel, at the top everything was ok, but at the bottom there were 1-1,5cm difference. And even in the middle there was some diference. Like it was extended. But we didnt pull it that hard, that there should be any extention...

How do you seam panels, that it matches on whole height?

implied windows. So, wans often has implied windows on side. how do you wrap vinyl into these corners? We heat vinyl up (dont know how much degress, becouse i didn have laser with me), and wrap it in, but after a few minutes somewhere vinyl pop-out.
When we were at wrap training course, guy told us, to heat it up to 90 C degress... But i forgot, when. Before i wrap it in, or later, when it is in its position??

So, any suggsetion on that problem??

Thanks for replys!

Attachments

• Kombi.jpg
    Kombi.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 102
  • Kombi1.jpg
    Kombi1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 76

Gforce1

On something like that when doing certical panels, I always do a hinge in the middle and start there essentialy breaking it into 2 parts. I find this way the stretching is less as your are pulling on less material and it's easier to work with. Makes it much easier to tile as well I think as you tend to get a more even stretch on each panel.

mdjamesd

I personally use lots of Primer 94. I prefer to work the vinyl into the grooves/corners, using as little heat and stretching as possible. less stretching=less shrinking.

Don't forget "post-heat"

Mason

I always use a hinge at about 1/4, lay the top and work the rest down, do it for every panel, very rarely encounter that issue. I have in the past when laying down from the very top down.

CL Graphics

make sure you are not working in direct sunlight. If it hot as hell like it is here right now we use application tape to stabilize the panels. It sucks but at least it solves the stretching issues.

msenjur

ok... so there is no big secret about panels matching... will give it a try... I like Mason's idea...

So, for now, there is only one big problem, that i dont manage to solve... Implied windows... This weekend, we did another car, and still have problems with these implied windows. The corner is too big, or what... i dont know... During install, we went over them, and we band it in later. Ofcourse we used heat-gun. But on some places vinyl pop-out for about 3cm! if we band it in again, it stays there for few minutes, and than again...

When i watch some others van, i see, that a lot of them has cut-out this corners. But i think, that this is not ok, and it also doesnt look very nice. But i also saw some vans, that has complete wrap, and vinyl in these corners is nicly band in these implied windows!

msenjur

ok... i see... i should clean it up first with primer 94?

but, is this the only way? what about that heating to 90 degress celzium and that story?

ftmrc

hinging?

What do you mean by "Hinging" the sheet? Do you remove some of the backing half way down then work up towards the top of the van then down towards the bottom?

Also do you recommend transfer tape on a complete van wrap with large (50") sections of vinyl?

Thanks.

dolce05

your panels didnt match because you stretched the vinyl, whether you believe this to be true or not, its the only reason it would line up.

As far as vinyl popping out of channels relief cuts or primer 94 are your answers. You have to understand the vinyl an know its capabilities before you start to work on complex projects. Good Luck

msenjur

dolce; yes, i know it is becouse of streching! That's why i was asking how all others are doing it, becouse probably im not the only one with this problem!

Ok... vinyl poping-out - solved. Will probably do relief cuts...

W

wetgravy

the difference in panels comes from stretching, whether from ambient heat from the vehicle or how you hold/apply the vinyl. As discussed earlier, transfer tape will help with that, also not making seams on images and text helps too, definantly a good reason to use simple textures on seam areas.