• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

panels never seem to line up

Zambookajoe

first scenario

we do lots of 8'x16' billboards on alupanels, or aluminum

we are using a jv33 so we print 4 panels with 1/8 bleed per sheet and install all 4 sheets

they rarely line up, sometimes its decent sometimes it way off

I know it doesn't need to be perfect cause nobody gets out of there vehicle to look at the billboards but Im anal so what can i say

I also get this when doing enclosed trailers or box trucks, but a lot less

I don't know what we are doing wrong

How would you setup your files?

craftladies

Holy only 1/8" overlap, for something like that I would do an inch overlap.

To make sure they line up I would do the first panel and trim it out, on your table or a clean floor they the first and second panel out. Use that 1in overlap to make sure you line up with the first panel. IM not sure if this makes sense, but laying them all out will help you adjust a bit if you didn't get the first one perfect.

Gman75

Watch out for stretching

Make sure that when your laminating the vinyl that you're not
stretching it from to much tension and or from the heat assist
if your laminator has that Option. Another fool proof
way if the 1st two things I mentioned are not the factor.
Have a thin outline of some sort, to use as a guide, printed around each panel so you know exactly where they are to go on the sheet your mounting it to. Also if you're mounting using your laminator could also be a factor if stretching. To play it safe you can wet apply them to the substrate exactly lining up the outlines you printed to the panels. or hang you're boards up and then apply the vinyl on to it like a wall mural. I know it's way easier havint it already mounted and then just screwing up the boards.
1/8" overlap is not enough that's for sure. Hope this helps.

StudioSignsInc

Make sure that when your laminating the vinyl that you're not
stretching it from to much tension and or from the heat assist
if your laminator has that Option.
+1. We ran into that problem before.
Line up the prints on the floor after they've been laminated and trimmed and see if they line up. If they don't line up it's probably the laminator. If they do line up then the prints are stretching unevenly during the install. Hope that helps narrowing it down.
1/2" bleed works well for us.