• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Panhandler or Sign Spinner

GypsyGraphics

gg....... sometimes you just gotta go with your gut and your gut was right on with that one. I believe most of the other posters are talking about real-honest to goodness..... shysters. There's a huge difference, and you....... lovingly know the difference.

You could've been in the middle of a scam, but you trusted your instincts and all worked out well for you, the mother and the baby.
:thumb:
thanks gino... thought i might get a "suuuckaaa" from you.

and you're right, most here are talking about real shysters
i just thought, having started the thread with a guy who i thought was a shyster... i felt the need to tell this story too.

oops... should have combined those three into one post (sorry admin)

SignManiac

When I was eighteen years old, I became stranded in Houston Texas. I found a nearby Salvation Army and they would give you a cot and roof over your head for $3.00 a day. You could even get a free dinner if you were willing to sit in on some religious propaganda, I passed on that one.

A few blocks from Sally, was a slave market. I would be the first one there at 6:00 a.m. and get hired to do day labor at $12.00 per eight our shift. Some days it was really hard work, like offloading 100lb. bags of crap off of freight trains. But I was making a profit of $9.00 a day after paying the room and board at the Sally. Yeah it sucked, but I didn't have to beg for money. After a month of living like this, I found a job back in New York, so I did what I had to do to survive. Today, many want the lazy, easy way out of their predicament.

One of this countries biggest problems is that we have become a country of enablers. We keep handing out everything to people who will keep on taking it. Why not? I know there are real people who need the help, but too many aren't in real need. The welfare system is a joke that has been abused to no end. We keep giving money we don't have to other countries at the first sign of disaster. Fine with that, but take care of your own first.

I don't give out money to panhandlers. I do however help others that I know are in real need. I know of a single mom who has a three year old daughter. Had not worked for months after job hunting every day.They're struggling just to get by day to day. I purchased a $100 gift card from Walmart and had a mutual friend, give it to her yesterday from Santa. She doesn't know who it came from but I heard that she was blown away by the help it was going to be so she could have a nice Christmas for her and her daughter. I like to pick my causes and I've had quite a few over the years.

Besides, nobody is offering to pay for my crack habit so tuff noogies!

round man

Around here they did a story on a couple of those guys who stand at he end of the expressway ramp with the cardboard signs that say homeless out of work please donate,God Bless,etc. seems a couple of them had gotten into a fight over the rights to panhandle at a certain said intersection at an expressway ramp,...seems the fight was due to the fact that he spot paid an average of $250 to $300 a day and neither party wanted to part with his spot and or the booze and hotel money that went with it,.....I'm all for helping someone help themselves but I refuse to enable an outright bum,...we have plenty of both types here and sometimes its hard to tell the difference,..One time outside a nice restauarant nearby a buddy and me were approached by this guy with the sob story his car was broke down and he and his family needed gas money,..my buddy asked if he needed a ride to his car and he promptly said it was across town and he didn't want to put us out,..this rang a few alarm bells to which my buddy said if he could show us drivers license we would donate,..the response was for him to mumble a curse and just walk off knowing we had caught him in his scam,..I'm not saying there aren't honest folks out there who need a helping hand but there are a lot of lazy lowlife scammers in this area also,....

Firefox

Kinda sorta related:

Close to 20 years ago I hired a guy who was a real nice, soft spoken kinda guy. His only real problem was a short stretch he did at the gray bar hotel, about 3 years or so followed by several more years of PO visits.

One morning he comes to work talking about this homeless woman that he met in the K-Mart lot the night before and since it was supposed to be freezing that night he brought her home to sleep on his couch!

My first thought was at least she didn’t rob you! He said she left that morning before he went to work right after he fixed her a nice hot breakfast. All was well and he felt great, having done the right thing an all.

Next morning he comes to work complaining that yesterday someone broke a backdoor window and took his 13” color TV (that I had given him) and turned his apartment upside down! Duh, go figure!

He worked for me for 5-6 years then moved up north... last I heard was he murdered his wife and was back in the gray bar!