• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pantone #'s - you'd think it would make it easier

Graphics2u

I get files sent to me from all over the place. Many times they are vector files with embedded Color info, sometimes they are bitmaps and I'm given the Color info. But it's amazing how many times I get files that will say it's Pantome 200 (just an example) when in reality they are expecting it look like a maroon or burgundy more like Pantone 202 or something similar. Then they say well you have the pantone #'s why can't you use that? I say "I did".

So many times I really think some of the people that create the files to begin with just pick a color# out of their design program and see what it looks like on their desktop printer and if they like it then that becomes there official Color #. They have no idea there is a chart you should compare it to rather than just taking what ever your printer spits out. The only real way Pantone #'s work is if both parties involved are using the guide. :banghead:

Sorry that was just bugging me today!

Baz

If a person doesn't have the guide and only uses the computer swatch then it's no good. I don't care what the customer says. If you learnt about using pantone numbered colors then you should have learned that you have to go by the book/guide and not solely on what you see on your screen.

In other words .. Not my problem.

mark in tx

And they are using an uncalibrated monitor in sRGB, so life really gets interesting. Not to mention the difference between a CRT and LCD monitor.

Most printers have a disclaimer that monitor colors do not match final output, and charge more for proof prints for color matching.

GypsyGraphics

right next to where client have to sign-off on the approval page it reads:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

This proof is for approval of design, layout, images and content,
not for color. Color proofs, screen or printed, are not an exact
representation of colors achieved in professional offset printing.

many times i've had client call, when reviewing a PDF that was sent for proofing,
and say "i printed this out and the colors don't look good."
my response it always "well it's a good thing you're not doing the printing isn't it."

boxerbay

right next to where client have to sign-off on the approval page it reads:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

This proof is for approval of design, layout, images and content,
not for color. Color proofs, screen or printed, are not an exact
representation of colors achieved in professional offset printing.

many times i've had client call, when reviewing a PDF that was sent for proofing,
and say "i printed this out and the colors don't look good."
my response it always "well it's a good thing you're not doing the printing isn't it."

BINGO - at some point in your process your have to provide the "Color Clause" go something along the lines of... "blah blah the is a soft proof blah blah if job is color critical you must request a color match print proof with cost and additional $XX amt. if not color critical we will do our best but it is not guaranteed and can have a 10% variance blah blah blah"

CYA- cover your ass.