• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pantones + profiling question

ikarasu

Hello again!

So I've come across something I thought was weird. Usually our colors are pretty spot on after profiling, but I've noticed a discrepancy (Maybe?)

I'm printing something with Pantone 288C. It's coming out a little darker than it should, and this is one of the picky customers... so I decided to scan it in and see if I can get it closer.

When I scan the pantone book, it prints perfect. When I goto color books > spot color, and select Pantone 288... it also comes out perfect.

My question is... Shouldn't onyx read the EPS file as Pantone 288, and come to the same device values as selecting pantone 2888 under spot color?

I've tried all the different rendering intents, tried just pantone 288 by itself... I tried turning spot color replacement on... Nothing seems to make it as good as if I manually select the values in onyx swatch books.

Is this normal behaviour, or do I have a setting unticked somewhere? For most things it's not a problem.. everything is close enough. But again... if I scan a color in manually, or tell onyx to give me the values... everything is close to perfect.

papabud

Lone Wolf
depends on how your saving your file. my guess is that its taking 288 and assigning a cmyk mix to it. then onyx takes that mix and prints it. instead of using its pantone values, its just going off the "mix"

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make a file with just a Pantone 288 colored square and save it as a PDF instead. Print that and see how it looks. EPS files don't embed input profiles so that is probably messing with your RIP.

ikarasu

Interesting! PDF seems to have fixed it. I was playing with it a bit on the weekend... and that was the only EPS file that was having issues with the spot color not working, so it may have been a way the eps was setup.

I did try some non pantone colors though - Saved it as pdf, and as eps... And the pdf is much closer to the actual color I See on screen than the eps is. I'm going to do some more tests... but I may try to talk our art department into switching to PDF.

I did lots of googling on the weekend about the differences, seems like everyone is moving to PDF mainly for convenience / updates. The whole 1 bit transparency in EPS thing explains some other problems I've ran across too.

Thanks again for all your replies!