• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paper backing from vinyl..is it biodegradable?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the paper backing from vinyl and digital media is biodegradable? I ask because I usually shred all mine and I wanted to put it in my garden compost pile but I wasn't sure if the "waxy" coating on the paper would hurt anything.
I recycle it and use it for packing sometimes but if I could get more use out of it, that would be great. I have a large back yard that I'm turning into a "mini farm" so it would be cool to use it to help make the garden grow.
Thanks

coyote

Old Paint is right. Shredding and using as package padding is a great reuse idea. better than those damned peanuts. I hate those things.
C

Bill Modzel

I dump all those peanuts in a clean garbage bag. Your local UPS store will happily take them off you hand and re-use or resell them.

animenick65

This is a good question. When I sit down and realize how much backing paper we throw out, its sickening. I guess reusing some of it like others have said is better than nothing though.

Pat Whatley

When I sit down and realize how much backing paper we throw out, its sickening.

We got too busy to take out the garbage last week, it was just one giant pile taking up one wall of the shop. Ended up packing 4 refrigerator boxes with the backing paper, weeded vinyl, and coro scraps. Four giant boxes in one week.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd really love to be able to recycle the stuff before the government steps in a starts charging for it's disposal.

TheSnowman

If they start charging for it's disposal, I'll burn it. However, if they charge you when you buy it, I guess not a lot you can do about it.

Graphics2u

I was wondering if anyone knew if the paper backing from vinyl and digital media is biodegradable? I ask because I usually shred all mine and I wanted to put it in my garden compost pile but I wasn't sure if the "waxy" coating on the paper would hurt anything.
I recycle it and use it for packing sometimes but if I could get more use out of it, that would be great. I have a large back yard that I'm turning into a "mini farm" so it would be cool to use it to help make the garden grow.
Thanks
What kind of a shredder do use? Must be huge!

animenick65

Everything is 'biodegradable' [whatever that might mean], some things merely take longer than others.

This is true. Looking at quite some time for backing paper.

They are now making some soy plastics that biodegrade after a couple of years. I'm using some trash bags like that right now. I'm sure the various vinyl film companies could produce the rolls on a soy based backing paper, but you wouldn't like the end cost.....

Checkers

I shred what I can and put it in the compost pile that I use for ornamental plants.
I would be a little concerned about using it in the vegetable garden though. I believe it's coated with silicone and I would be a little concerned about the potential health effects.

Checkers

Border

Everything is 'biodegradable' [whatever that might mean], some things merely take longer than others.

Case in point:
Here's a biodegradable chevy (I think?) van I saw down in Belize on a dive trip.
Couple more years and this baby will be GONE!

Attachments

• Photo~123.jpg
    Photo~123.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 102
Recyclable liner

For what it is worth. I have a print vinyl from Hexis that has a recyclable liner. It is a kraft paper. It does have a little issue with wrinkling but it is not that bad. I am in South Florida and humidity is a killer. Not all of there vinyls have this liner. I am not soliciting orders, just informing everyone what is out there.

What kind of a shredder do use? Must be huge!
Actually it's not that big. I bought it a Costco. It stands about 20" tall and holds about 5 gallons of shredded paper. It's pretty ammazing how it munches the stuff right up. It takes a little bit more time to put it through the shredder but it really bugs me to wad it up and put it in the garbage.
I can't imagine how big of a paper mountain we (sign makers) must create in just one week nationwide!
Since I started shredding it about 2 years ago I went from having to empty my garbage 2-3 times a day to 1-2 times a week! I guess I'm a bit anal about it, I dont throw any thing in the garbage larger than 1sqft.
I either give it to the schools and church organizations for kids projects or I cut it all down before I throw it away.
I wonder if any of the liner manufactures have entertained using a plant based "wax" liner.
It's cool to hear how other re-use. I have a friend that makes tote bags out of recycled burlap bags from her coffee roasting company. She uses the coroplast and other waterproof, rigid materials in the bottom of the bags to keep the bottom stiff and sturdier.
Thanks for all your imput!

darkdan

My recycling place denied it and premask. I sent them samples and they said no. =(

Yes, someday it will break down. The paper, shortly, the rest of it, I'm sure a few thousand years.

SqueeGee

I'm interested in recycling backing paper also and did some googling. Here are some links to the info that I found. I'm going to call Harmony Recycling tomorrow to get some information since they are only about 4 hours away from me. I'd love to hear if anyone else has found a way to get their backing paper recycled.

http://www.australiasigns.com.au/recycling_system.html

http://www.australiasigns.com.au/ideas/7_38_0.html

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbQaahhcaJ3Gvh6Xh61O4R0EiQHFcQ

http://www.harmonyrecycling.com/silicone rubber/silicone.htm