• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Parallel to usb adapter for PNC950

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Since parallel ports have disappeared from computers nowadays, I was wondering if anyone has tried hooking up a Roland plotter with a parallel to usb adapter? Any headaches I'm in for?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know one thing for certain. Everyone who gets an internal add on card (parallel or serial as needed) that is a true port has a lot less problems than those using adaptors that "emulate" a port. Your computer (unless its a laptop) surely has an internal expansion slot or two. Just need to figure out what type slot. You can get the cards on eBay for less than the problematic USB adaptors....

Another option - if it's a desktop computer, the motherboard may actually have a parallel connector on it and you could then just get one of these for less than 3 bucks shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Pin-Parallel-Printer-Port-LPT-internal-Cable-Bracket-/250993394498

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Hmmm.... I think the next most reliable option then would be a PCMCIA Parallel card. "Most" laptops do have a PCMCIA slot. If not USB it is.... people DO get them to work that way but there is probably 2-4 threads a month about people having connection problems with machines using USB port adapters.

jimmysigns

wow how funny, just 20 minutes ago I'm trying to connect a roland camm1 to my laptop, I have a usb to serial port adapter and so far no luck. I can't find the driver for the roland camm 1 cm24 for windows 7.