• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Part time designer question...

I am usually deep into production and don't get much chance to design...when I do design I run into a problem....

How do I break text lines up? Like on yard signs or 4x8s....

My go to method is using lines...but I feel like an amateur tattoo artist doing what I know best for everyone...

Mind you these are simple signs...like bobs backhoe service...I also do reversed lettering or change fonts, but it feels unnecessary for many signs..

Is there a better way to break up text? (of course)

Also this is full color...it doesn't need to be cut-able...and I design in Illustrator

Last edited:
Like if a customer wants to put his name his number and his services...all take separate lines of text...what would be another way of breaking it up

Dingus lawn mowing
-------------------
606-444-3321
-------------------
Lawn mowing * Cat eradication

You don't need to tell me a step by step thing...just a technique I could look up

cwb143

I thought this was a question but now its raising more questions. To clarify. Are you breaking text up in Illustrator? or Are you cutting text apart for installation?

breaking up text so that it doesn't read as one big paragraph

not for installation just readability

some tricks I was looking for would be like...break the sign into 4 parts...use serif font for the name of business and sans serifs for the services...

I think my question was so simple it confused people...lol

2B

what method are you using to produce?

cut vinyl,
printed roll/roll
flatbed
screen printed

either way the mixing regular print and reverse print is our preferred method

WFT is "Cat eradication" and "lawn mowing" doing together? are you telling me that there are so many cats this is a job? and what means is used for the "Cat eradication"

cwb143

Well your logo is a good example. It has smaller fonts and one larger font
with different colors. Some fonts go good together as well as colors.
You just have to find the right match. It takes an eye for design. You can get better at it with practice. Bold fonts, skinny fonts, reversed out they all work
here is an example. http://www.signelect.com/images/4x8 comparison.jpg

WFT is "Cat eradication" and "lawn mowing" doing together? are you telling me that there are so many cats this is a job? and what means is used for the "Cat eradication"

Those zero-turn mowers do a great job...and I hear it is full of nutrients for the grass....anyway..We roll print mostly...

I take on these signs just to take a break from production and sit at my computer and do a low budget sign for someone who doesn't want to pay any design time..and I get some practice.

I don't know if I want to be in production my whole life lol

J

john1

The Logo Design books by Dan Antonelli have some good stuff in them also. All these books go hand in hand with each other i think. You can pick up most for around $25 each, Totally worth it.

rjssigns

Flexi has a command called Break Apart which will do what you want.
Command-Shift-O for Illustrator on a Mac. Turns text to outlines. Then you can move complete lines or manipulate individual letters.

xxaxx

You can also use color bars going across and type in white text in that area to differentiate a bit ... that usually works out fairly well for something different. Just Google image search yard signs and you will see a ton of examples that do that in different ways.

Perks

Yeah you dont want a paragraph for a sign. Too much of that **** around. Just keep the message to five words. Epitomize and add your design techniques.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
and sit at my computer and do a low budget sign for someone who doesn't want to pay any design time.../QUOTE]

I smell a seriously flawed business model. You'd better reconsider or begin selling Avon, delivering pizzas...or working for that cat eradication guy...you're currently on a dead-end highway, my friend.

PS...I notice by your signature, you're not a business owner...but your main goal as a manager should be to raise revenues for your employer, and increase the respect for this trade. You can't do that with charity.

JB