• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Partial Blockout flexface or awning. Suggestions?

DesireeM

I'm producing graphics for a backlit sign face. It is oversized (90"w x 110"h) and requires a flex face.
The problem is that the customer's branding is a full black background with minimal white, text logo.

Normally for backlit signs with black(or very dark) backgrounds I will use a blockout layer so the whites and colours pop, and so we don't end up getting that washed-out old-graphics look that happens when you backlight a black print.

My plan is to have the flexface front-printed and then apply blockout vinyl, with the logo cut out, to the back side of the flex face to match up with the front print. This will allow us to hide the vinyl seams because it doesn't come in oversized rolls and we can't contour cut more than 54" regardless.

Is there an easier way?

-I thought maybe blockout paint on a white flex face or awning but I can't find any in Canada (Stazon in the US is all I could find).

- Is there a brand that sells eradicable blockout flexface? It would have to be that the eradicated areas become translucent for lighting but the background stays fully opaque.

I welcome any suggestions I may not have considered...

bannertime

I've never done anything that requires eradication. But I do use Cooley materials. If anyone had something like that, it'd be them. Though I'm sure you've probably looked there already.

DesireeM

I've never done anything that requires eradication. But I do use Cooley materials. If anyone had something like that, it'd be them. Though I'm sure you've probably looked there already.

Yes, I did check what Cooley has but unfortunately their options are not "blockout" in the inked/coloured areas that have not been eradicated...or at least not that I saw. If no one sells it I should start producing it and sell it myself lol. Probably not much demand for it though if no one makes already.

unclebun

Regular black eradicable flex should work for that, as long as the white letters don't have to be blockout. I can't imagine that black blockout lets much light pass through the black areas. That would kind of defeat the purpose of black.

DesireeM

Regular black eradicable flex should work for that, as long as the white letters don't have to be blockout. I can't imagine that black blockout lets much light pass through the black areas. That would kind of defeat the purpose of black.

True - that would make sense. We've done lots of eradicable but always in bright colours. I guess I just assumed it would have the same effect as a multiple-pass digitally printed graphic which can never get enough ink to avoid that washed-out greyish tone.

I'll look into the Cooley again. The specs did not mention light transmission at all and I've been burned before by brands who used the "Innocent by omission" claim when their product failed.

Andy D

I have done tons of flex faces and many as I think you're describing...I had a printer that would print
the front and then print the back to make the colors pop, or to opaque parts of the background.
In your case, I would print the front as dark as possible, and then using lights or in stretched in front of a window,
apply cut spray mask on the backside of the flex and paint it black.