• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Partial wrap and lettering on Airplane

tamias

Hi everyone,

I have a customer who wants to put a partial wrap/lettering on a Cirrus SR-22 airplane. I'm stoked about the idea, but leary of the possible regulations and insurance liability of doing the project.

From what research I've done so far I've found little to describe regulations or requirements. The companies I've looked at are geared specifically toward the aviation industry and nothing else.

I have read that if the airplane is flown below 13,000 ft, and is not pressurized you can use a 3M like vehicle vinyl or cast vinyl (this would be suitable for the SR-22 since it falls into this category). But I've also read that you must be an FAA licensed mechanic to apply the vinyl to the airplane itself (to prevent the possibility of covering one of the plane's sensors). I have also 'heard' most insurance companies won't allow a basic sign shop to even participate in the project, for fear of liabilities.

Can anyone verify these rumors? lol. Any input would be appreciated, yes even sarcasm is welcome! I've glanced over some of the FAA regulations via their website, and have even contacted them by telephone. They have yet to return my call. I'm planning on checking the 2 local airports we have in the county to try and get more answers.

Thanks!

Fuzzbuster

Done 100s or aircraft
Cirrus is a certified airplane...

different rules all together

The OLD 3M electrostatic Scotchprint is the only certified stuff as far as I know from the FAA for Cert aircraft

There are very few of these machines left in the US and a few in Canada.

Meritt Graphics think can help..another co in Florida has one..

DEFINATELY would have to get signed off by a cert AMO..

Give it to someone who can do it LEGALLY
If I`m wrong someone enlighten me please

just my 2 cents

Besta luck

Fuzzbuster

Here`s my last Aircraft job 2 weeks ago

Attachments

• Rv part wrap.jpg
    Rv part wrap.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 112
  • RV part wrap2.jpg
    RV part wrap2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 108
  • RV part wrap3.jpg
    RV part wrap3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Rv part4.jpg
    Rv part4.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 98

ProWraps

we did a cirrus 22. graphics were 3m antistatic that were from a vendor that made them specific to the aircraft.

this was before i had a clue. never again. too much liability.