• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

parts machine

briant1362

We were just given another SJ-745 for use as a parts machine. It's been unused for the past 2+ years, used 3rd party inks (we use EcoSol Max in our existing SJ-745) and appears to be in good mechanical/electrical condition. The only thing "wrong" with it is that the heads are clogged and aren't printing at all. I soaked the heads overnight a couple of times and did many cleanings but were only able to recover a few nozzles from one head. Not sure if I should or want to spend the time to see if I can recover the heads. I don't need the printer to be operational...our existing SJ-745 is still running well and we don't need any extra output capacity right now. Floor space is at a premium in our shop...we could find a place to park it but we'd be having to work around it more than I'd like. So the question is...how best to utilize the printer? 1) keep the whole machine in tact as-is until I need to salvage a part, 2) strip the machine for the most common parts that are likely to fail (pumps, motors, sensors, boards, etc.) and discard everything else, 3) spend the time/money to get it printing/operational and use as at hot spare?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/recommendations.

Zombowski

Sounds to me the heads were not purged before the printer was shutdown the last time. The result will be dried ink inside the head and nozzles and it will be near impossible to get that out, even with ultrasonic cleaning. I'm afraid your heads are dead.

smithcolor

If there is no floor space to hold it, you can take parts out and dispose the frame.
Valuable used parts are boards, motor, sensors are useful too.
pumps, dampers and cables, it is better use new one.
As your description, the printer heads are dead.