• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Party Supply Store Logo

Joe Diaz

Confetti logo 5-2011.jpg

We created a homemade script for this. My dad hand lettered the main copy, I scanned her in, cleaned it up, and vectorized it. Then I added some gradient effects to make it look like ribbon. :thumb:

Jillbeans

Fun stuff!
Cheerful with balls.
I've always loved your dad's lettering.
Maybe we can convince him to make a "font" out of it?
Love....Jill

Joe Diaz

Ouch, customer did not like it. She took it back to show her daughter, then brought back something for me to "copy". So much for an original script. Oh well you can't win them all.

signmeup

Ouch, customer did not like it. She took it back to show her daughter, then brought back something for me to "copy". So much for an original script. Oh well you can't win them all.
Heyyyyyyy.......your customer is an idiot! How unusual! :rolleyes:
It's lucky her daughter is a marketing/graphics expert.

GoodPeopleFlags

You're freakin' kidding, Joe! I'm so sorry. What you did was awesome.

Something I've been thinking about lately is that we all do layouts and logos for people who come to us because they don't know how to do it. We create something and send to them for their feedback. Then something like that happens. It sucks that the people making the final decision on our good designs are the ones who don't know how to do it.

Joe Diaz

The bottom line is I'm getting paid to do this. And I love designing, so I really can't complain.

However at a certain point I realize the customer hasn't hired me for my expertise and imagination, but instead has hired me to try to crawl inside their head and regurgitate their ideas for better or for worst. The problem is since they don't do this for a living most times it's for worst. There is a reason they sell party supplies and I design logos. I will do my very best, but I'm afraid I can't help much if I'm being told exactly how to do my job.

She decided that copying something else is better for her image then the unique script that we created. That is her decision to make. If she does this with every person she does business with, the contractor, the lawyer, etc.. , she may find her self struggling to keep her business alive because she has chosen to ignore the expertise of people who provide those services for a living. We have seen those businesses come and go. I really hope this isn't the case with her, as I hate to see small businesses fail.

Marlene

you know, if nothing more, you have made a lot of us feel a whole lot better as when this happens to me, I know I just feel like I failed. seeing it happen to you, some one up to as a design God, it makes me see that customer's opinions have nothing to do with a good design, they soemtimes are just idiots!

do what she wants but I would find her nearest competition and offer them up a nice looking idea:Big Laugh

signmeup

The bottom line is I'm getting paid to do this. And I love designing, so I really can't complain.

However at a certain point I realize the customer hasn't hired me for my expertise and imagination, but instead has hired me to try to crawl inside their head and regurgitate their ideas for better or for worst. The problem is since they don't do this for a living most times it's for worst. There is a reason they sell party supplies and I design logos. I will do my very best, but I'm afraid I can't help much if I'm being told exactly how to do my job.

She decided that copying something else is better for her image then the unique script that we created. That is her decision to make. If she does this with every person she does business with, the contractor, the lawyer, etc.. , she may find her self struggling to keep her business alive because she has chosen to ignore the expertise of people who provide those services for a living. We have seen those businesses come and go. I really hope this isn't the case with her, as I hate to see small businesses fail.
You write some good stuff for a young fella. :thumb:

weaselboogie

I have a whole collection of pieces that never saw the light of day because a customer or a committee bastardized it to a completely ugly level. Pre-customer concepts remain in the portfolio, the ugly version goes out into the world.

ForgeInc

was gonna post on how I agreed about the font below not fitting in, but then read on and saw customer canned it. Bummer, that was a great script! For what it's worth, I have like 3-4 logos in my portfolio that the customer canned :)