Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past 2 installs in 24 hrs

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by bwrapped, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bwrapped

bwrapped Member

Sep 10, 2013
    NOT PICTURED : 36 pieces of 3m 3550 14.5 ft tall 48" wide inside of the bridge.

Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 5.23.00 PM.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Premium Subscriber

Hope whoever produced the graphic for the stair risers got authorization..... it's been mentioned on here before by other shops too. That is actually a patented idea and the patent holder is pretty well know for going after other companies who make a graphic like that. Google stairway riser graphics patent and you will find the company.

Stupid that something like that can be patented. We have done some in the past not knowing about it, they sent us a cease and desist along with demand that it be taken down or pay up a licensing fee.

Both do look great btw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Wow, that's AWEsome!

Hope you dont have to take it down. That would be ridiculous if they sent you a cease and desist.

4. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Nice job!!! :thumb:

5. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Looks cool...that would be a fun install. Nice job!

As far as the patent, that seems pretty absurd. Not saying it isn't true, but I don't know how you can patent installing vinyl on steps. Somewhere, sometime, someone was the first to install vinyl on windows. Somewhere, sometime, someone was the first to install channel letters on a building. ....wrap a car. etc. etc.

How in the world can you patent installing vinyl on steps. I don't see how that could possibly hold up in court.

I Googled 'Google stairway riser graphics patent' and didn't find anything. Sure would like to see what you're saying in writing...

6. SightLine

SightLine Premium Subscriber

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=6041533.PN.&OS=PN/6041533&RS=PN/6041533

link from an older thread... company is Upstares Media "The adStep® patent (US # 6041533) is held exclusively by UpStares Media™ as an advertising system for presenting a single visual message on a series of horizontally or vertically offset surfaces comprising adhesive backed, printed pieces of a flexible thermoplastic polymer based film. adStep® graphics are also known as stair wraps, stair graphics, stair ads and stair advertising."

and yes, I totally agree that it is absurd

7. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    ohhh...for a 'single visual message'. Interesting. But yes, still absurd. But smart of them I guess - cornered the market on that little method.

I've seen more than one building with advertisements on the steps but they were all individual 'messages'....not a single message as indicated in the patent.

8. FS-Keith

FS-Keith Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    pennsylvania
    put some sort of visual break halfway up and you no longer have a single visual message

• Like Like x 1
  9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona

All this Patent means is that they patented it with one type of film... Use 480Cv3 or another non PVC product and their patent is foiled.

10. bwrapped

bwrapped Member

Sep 10, 2013
    This was suppose to be a job we can't touch. I watched union workers try to lay the stairs with a credit card.... They asked for my help I laughed, they make 3 times what I do why would I share my skilled trade to them! Finally they gave in to wanting us to install it. I also saw 3 guys using wax on wax off motion to lay some vinyl all waxing on and off right into each other! I wish I had a video it was great!

11. MR. Graphics

MR. Graphics Member

May 10, 2011
    i'd better get started on my City Bus Wrap patent.

12. bwrapped

bwrapped Member

Sep 10, 2013

yes we have to take it down next week! we also did another skybridge install last night we will also be removing that next week as well.

13. Richard G

Richard G Member

Really Stupid but true

I had a little trouble believing that there could be a patent on how you can install a graphic but apparently it is true. Too Many lawyers not enough concrete. :banghead:http://www.google.com/patents/US6041533

14. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    I think that often on this site.

15. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    I tried searching his information with the patent office. I don't think he was ever granted the patent rights. At least not yet. I would try to find someone knowledgeable to really look into that. He may be bullying people while he simply has an application in. Which until its granted it worth about as much as a fire starter in hell.

16. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    United States Patent 6,041,533
    Go back to giving bad advice on Wikipedia, not here.

17. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    I wasn't giving advice. I suggested looking deeper into it. You really need to brush up on those reading comprehension skills.

18. Artworks

Artworks Artworks

Nov 28, 2012
    Roseville, CA
    Is this patent still current?

I just looked into this patent and the last time the fee for the patent was paid was in 2011. Does anyone know how long these patents are good for? It looks like they were paying every year from 2000 when the patent was established until 2011. However, No activity since that date.
    Patent US6041533 - Advertising step systems - Google Patents
    Their website is still boasting their patent claim, so i was just curious...

19. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I thought patents were only good for 20 years.