• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

patrol boats

slappy

anybody have any ideas to make the lettering on this boat look better in a different position then the attachments. I'd like to put it bigger on the sides under the rubrail (attachment 3).

What are your opinions?

letterman7

I would put it above the rub rail, simply to avoid having it damaged when they dock. Keep in mind that Triumphs are a polypropylene hull - it's going to take extra steps to get the decals to stick. In the past I've prepped with alcohol, let dry, then flashed the area with a torch and immediately put the decals on. Don't try to do this in weather like we're having - it needs to be warm.

letterman7

You can remove the Triumph decals, just like any other. I used to sell these things when they were Logic Boats; we always had issues with the decals peeling initially. When the re-tooled and changed the name, the quality went way up.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the name has to come off, or the first design you have is good enough, as they are not serious as to it's looks if they want the sticker still on

AUTO-FX

If it's close to the rub rail and towards the front, the dock fenders shouldn't really present an abrasion risk.

Mosh

I would go above the rail, but towards the back. Lettering looks distorted on boats when put towars the front.

slappy

i personally don't like it above the rail. Plus there is alot of contours there from physically looking at the boat. And he mentioned about getting in and out crawling over the lettering. I think that would lift the vinyl edges? Yes? No?

showcase 66

Out of spite. Can you drill a hole in the boat for me. I hated dealing with Army Corps of Engineers. They are/were a pain in the ass and cost me a lot of business and money back in my engineering days.

slappy

just finished this up. I was waiting for the weather to spike and finally did the boat. Here is how it turned out! I appreciate the advice here and wanted to thank everyone again and i was able to convince him to drop the boat logo.

I would have made it bigger, but he changed his mind on the position after i already had cut the vinyl and was there to apply it. So instead of re-cutting, i used what i had already made for the job.

Border

Polypropylene is the actual material. I did 13 of those boats 2 Summers ago for a mapping company. If it is that material indeed, you need to use an adhesion promoter first and are also supposed to flame treat the area before the adhesion promoter is applied in order to help get the mold release compounds to the surface before final prep.
Otherwise, those decals will be peeling off in no time, most likely.

slappy

well, i cleaned the out of it with ISOPROPANOL 99%. I sure hope it sticks and he came this morning to pay me so they must still be on. I don't see why it wouldn't stick if they got the triumph foam adhered logo on.
I should have consulted my dad and brought him up there cause he use to make boats and he could have told me what material is was constructed of. I know it didn't have a gel coat on though cause when i ran my hand down the side it was rough in spots like dry skin.

Her's the other side as asked

Last edited by a moderator: