• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Payment problem

brush1

OK....in 16 years first time. Need your advice.
Customer ordered channel letters. I charge 75% up front and 25% when complete the job.
Letters are ready to be install but last order....small coroplast sign for $70...was pay with insufficient check. I called customer but she didn't contact me since yesterday.
Will you still install it or wait for payment in full for coroplast sign and channel letters job?
Of course it will be cash payment only. She at list need to contact me after my call.

I would wait

sometimes, things happen. customer deposited to their account in the evening but wasn't in time to have your chq cleared or a chq they deposited bounced on them starting the whole ball rolling. If it was me the phone message or text to the client would be ( assuming you have told them it had bounced already) Hi, letters are ready for installation. Balance for this job is $*** with and if we could include the $70.00 (plus NSF fee) that would be great. Let me know when you are ready at your end and we will install

heyskull

I presume you have the 75% for this installation?
The other 25% is not due till after the work is finished as you stated "25% when complete the job"
The real issue doesn't start until the checque for the 25% bounces!
Yes their is an issue with the coroplast sign but that is a different issue.
I would talk to them when installing and get them to pay by card for the coroplast sign and the 25% remaing whilst you are there.

I personally state now it is either full payment up front or 95% deposit and the remaining balance paid and cleared on completion.
This may sound very harsh but I am sick and tired of being a bank or credit company to low life chancers.
I make signs and expect instant payment, I cant buy Groceries, Pizza or Beer without making instant payment so why should we be any different.

If you let clients get away with it, it always ends with the client bad mouthing you to other prospective customers even though it was them who was at fault!

SC

brush1

Thank you for input.
She promise to come today with cash. We will see.

I think the 95% is actually a very good idea.
I use to charge 50% deposit but not any more.
For all jobs under $500 I charge full payment up front for long time.
Generally customers who now me for years and who really need product don't have any problem with it.