• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software Help PC advice to run Rasterlink with 6 colour printer.

Best Colour

Hi All

As a total Newbie to Printer ownership ( been outsourcing for over 10 years ) i need some advice.
What computer do I buy. I'm currently running a Mac Pro for all my design work but of course I can't use this for Rasterlink.

I need to know everything.
Laptop???
All in One???
Desktop???
Graphics card Yes/No???
Memory???
Etc, Etc, Etc.

Martin Denton

we use a desktop with windows 10 64 bit (allows you to use all the memory rather than just the 4 gb that 32 bit allows) and 32 gb of ram we have an ssd drive for rapid data read (512 gb) dont think the graphics card matters too much for the rip but as with everything in life get the best you can afford. we tend to buy dell as they seem well priced and have proven reliable over the last 15 years. Current one is a precision model hope that helps

WildWestDesigns

Is using a RIP for Mac (Caldera or Shiraz) out of the question? Both of those work on a Mac. May or may not be cheaper then getting a new computer depending on what your needs are and if specific printer is supported in those RIPs.

we use a desktop with windows 10 64 bit (allows you to use all the memory rather than just the 4 gb that 32 bit allows) and 32 gb of ram we have an ssd drive for rapid data read (512 gb) dont think the graphics card matters too much for the rip but as with everything in life get the best you can afford. we tend to buy dell as they seem well priced and have proven reliable over the last 15 years. Current one is a precision model hope that helps

This will also be limited by the program as well. If the program is still 32 bit, the program itself is only going to see 4 GB of ram. It will help for multi-tasking of other programs, but if it's a RIP only, doesn't make all that much of a difference.

Martin Denton

Is using a RIP for Mac (Caldera or Shiraz) out of the question? Both of those work on a Mac. May or may not be cheaper then getting a new computer depending on what your needs are and if specific printer is supported in those RIPs.

This will also be limited by the program as well. If the program is still 32 bit, the program itself is only going to see 4 GB of ram. It will help for multi-tasking of other programs, but if it's a RIP only, doesn't make all that much of a difference.
Yes sorry - I just assumed it was a given that if they used 64 bit windows they would use the 64bit version of rasterlink, both are available on the dvd or download...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am a computer geek and love to build rigs as powerful as I can. That being said, since Rasterlink has an immediate print option it doesn't require a super computer.

I would not go any lower than 8GB of RAM and would much prefer 16GB if your budget allows. 16GB is more than enough to RIP any file.

As far as processors go, the amount of cores does not matter when it comes to RIPing. If you want faster RIP speeds you want a higher clock speed. Anything over 4.0GHz will be great but high 3s are absolutely fine too.

A solid state drive will help tremendously and they are nice and cheap these days. Just keep in mind they have a shorter life than mechanical drives so most people will install the OS and work folder for the RIP on the solid state drive and then save graphics files on the mechanical drive. I prefer to go solid state on everything and just keep good backup practices.

You do not need a video card as the RIP cannot use it anyway. However, it does improve the performance of your design software so if you do a lot of intensive effects that need to render etc. it can help but isn't necessary.

WildWestDesigns

Yes sorry - I just assumed it was a given that if they used 64 bit windows they would use the 64bit version of rasterlink, both are available on the dvd or download...

Hmmm, I saw that Rasterlink Tools had 2 specific different options for the different archs (which since they interface with other programs, that's understandable), but not with the actual RIP (unless it has both in the one installer and it automatically detects it when first trying to install).

Best Colour

Last edited:

Best Colour

Hi Martin
A big thanks for replying, unfortunately my equipment supplier has not been as informative as you. I need to digest all of this and then go and visit my local electronics shop.

Best Colour

Hmmm, I saw that Rasterlink Tools had 2 specific different options for the different archs (which since they interface with other programs, that's understandable), but not with the actual RIP (unless it has both in the one installer and it automatically detects it when first trying to install).

Last edited:

Best Colour

I am a computer geek and love to build rigs as powerful as I can. That being said, since Rasterlink has an immediate print option it doesn't require a super computer.

I would not go any lower than 8GB of RAM and would much prefer 16GB if your budget allows. 16GB is more than enough to RIP any file.

As far as processors go, the amount of cores does not matter when it comes to RIPing. If you want faster RIP speeds you want a higher clock speed. Anything over 4.0GHz will be great but high 3s are absolutely fine too.

A solid state drive will help tremendously and they are nice and cheap these days. Just keep in mind they have a shorter life than mechanical drives so most people will install the OS and work folder for the RIP on the solid state drive and then save graphics files on the mechanical drive. I prefer to go solid state on everything and just keep good backup practices.

You do not need a video card as the RIP cannot use it anyway. However, it does improve the performance of your design software so if you do a lot of intensive effects that need to render etc. it can help but isn't necessary.
H

Best Colour

Hi VanderJ
This is the type of information I need and thanks for keeping it to language of the common man. I’ve never had this stuff explained this way before.
Regards
Brett