Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC recommendations for Roland VS640

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by printpros_au, May 30, 2013.

1. printpros_au

printpros_au New Member

May 23, 2013
    Hey, We've got a new Roland VS640 arriving on Monday and I am planning to get a dedicated PC for ripping etc just for the printer. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations or particular specs they did/didn't have and wish they did on their versaworks PC? Cheers

2. gspicer

gspicer New Member

May 12, 2010
    PA
    I'd order a machine from dell, they have treated me good in the past. I'd get a Dell Precision workstation with Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM and a decent discrete video card. It's a bit of overkill for your needs, but nothing worse than a machine that can't handle the tasks it's given. If you want to go cheaper get a consumer class machine with an Intel I5 or I7, 16-32GB RAM and discrete video card will be just as capable as the workstation, just less reliable. In a production environment I feel consumer machines have no place other than at a secretary's desk.

-Gregor

3. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

We only ship to North America or I would tell you to give us a call.

If it is for a single printer in VersaWorks, I would look at a true workstation-class PC such as a Dell Precision or one of HPs high-end workstations. The hardware quality is usually better in those models. I despise off-the-shelf PCs.

I would go with 16GB of RAM and a high-quality SSD alongside a "enterprise class" standard hard drive for storage.

A discrete video card isn't needed in VersaWorks. As long as that is all you are running, it isn't necessary.