• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PC60 Print Head

w2csa

Hi all,
Has anyone changed a print head on a PC60?
I need to replace mine and thought if it was possible to do this at home I could save shipping/expenses to Roland etc.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

WoppTorr

Ya it's simple gota take off the top cover, 4 screws, 2 in front 2 in back, then you'll need a philips screw driver and a 2.5 alen werech to take the head off, the ribbon cable's connected to the print head will need to come off first, there is 2 screws on either side of the print head, and one alen screw to the left front with a spring on it, once you got those screws out the head comes right out, the alen screw is the adjuster for the head tracking, you'll need to adjust that one once you put in the new head, the adjuster on top the head is for alignment to the ribbon cassette's, once the head is out there is 2 philips screws holding on the head bracket, and a bushing in one of those holes the screws come out of DON'T LOOSE THAT, then, reverse these steps to put in the new one
:thumb:

w2csa

Thanks,
I do have the service manual but it calls for a special cable for the voltage reading.
Can the reading.adjustment be done without this cable?
I do have a nice digital VM
Thanks

WoppTorr

hey is the service manual, you have in a pdf format, i'm sure some of PC-60 folks hear wouldn't mind getting there hands on one
:rolleyes:

WoppTorr

well here's what it look's like with the print head out

Attachments

• print head out.jpg
    print head out.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 71

woolly

Thanks,
I do have the service manual but it calls for a special cable for the voltage reading.
Can the reading.adjustment be done without this cable?
I do have a nice digital VM
Thanks

yes but nice to have the cable.
the mechanical job of changing the head is straight forward but the setting up takes time to do well, and is worth the effort.
with your new head will be a disk with the correct info on it for THAT head, and the voltage is on the new head.
just follow the manual carefully.

woolly

woolly

where the lead would have pluged in to the board.
the lead was made for the earlyer machines which had to have it, its just nicer to have.

hammered

Mine is on the way home after having this done. For the peace of mind, I prefered to pay the extra $175 to have it done. Plus it got a tune up, new cart holder, cleaning and 2 day shipping.

woolly

where are you ordering from please and how much.
i have just fitted my last head and finding them is becoming a problem in the UK

woolly

WoppTorr

Ya would be nice to have a list of places still carring head replacements for our pc-60, 12's and 600's
:Big Laugh

w2csa

UPDATE
I saw on a forum that Pacific Coast Paint Supply http://www.pacificcoastsignsupply.com/index.html
Had the Heads, I called yesterday and they dont have them anymore but Rich sent me to www.cammtech.com in Mass.
After talking with Rich at Pacific, I now believe I may not need a new Head at all.
The issue is:
If I print a horizontal stripe, the total max width , with a thickness of.. say an inch, there will be a gap, not printed, about 11" out with a width of about an inch. It almost looks scratched.
The first thing Rich suggested was simply getting new ribbons, I have them ordered and should be here in the next few days.
Also Rich suggested the ribbon cable might be defective.
Since the print only seems to be in error at 1 location it appears that the head might not be defective.
The print ribbons, RESIN, I got with the machine do look ratty and old.
Any thoughts?
I'll let you know when I get the new ribbons.
Thanks for your nice welcome and help.
Chris

woolly

If I print a horizontal stripe, the total max width , with a thickness of.. say an inch, there will be a gap, not printed, about 11" out with a width of about an inch. It almost looks scratched.

wind back the ribbon and see if the print has gone of the side of the ribbon, this is what happens with some refills and at the bottom of the head unit is a small black roller, which if poor condition will do similar.

good advice to try genuine ribbons first.

woolly

w2csa

Thanks all
I called cammtech a little while ago.
They do have print heads for $540
Though I may not need one its good info to have.

w2csa

Does anyone know if there is a Roland Service Center in Western NY, or in NY state?
Thanks,
Chris