Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pdf cutting centers first

Discussion in 'Signlab' started by tbullo, Oct 24, 2018.

1. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    Sometimes when cutting a customer supplied Pdf, the centers of letters cut first and then the outside. When doing a long run sometimes a little skew will show up. Is there anything I can do to make it cut like regular fonts in Signlab? Or is there something I can tell the designer to do on their end (Museum type)?

Tags:
  2. jriley

jriley Member

Jul 15, 2014
    California
    There may be nothing you can do. Most plotters cut "in order" based on how the file was designed. If you're using a Graphtec, there's an option called "Optimize Order" which can help. As far as what you can tell the customer, perhaps someone more familiar with the design-side of things can chime in.

Edit: I will add, though, that you may need to clean your pinch roller / grit roller and/or adjust the pressure and/or pinch roller positioning, etc., so that the media won't skew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    On Mimakis the option to optimize the cut order is simply called, "Sort". Most brands will have some sort of version of that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    What they said, but also here's an idea that is likely useless, but in Flexi you can manually assign the cut order and directions of paths. I'm sure other sign programs have some feature like this.

5. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    Yes, I have a Graphtec FC7000. I will look for that sort option. Is that in the plotter menu? Seems like I have seen that somewhere before.
    Also I think they design their text and send as outlined text so it doesn't read as a font. All the letter are their own objects. Like "o" is a compound path.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Graphtec has a corel plugin called cutting master. On the third or fourth tab, there is a cutting order drop down with speed priority, restrict media movement, or none. Restrict media can be tedious to watch, but it works well.
    What software are you driving the plotter with?

7. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Are they all one layer? Our cutter tends to just do it’s own thing if it’s all in one layer but if there’s multiple layers it’ll do them in order.