• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF in Photoshop changes Dimensions

dlndesign

I am hitting a wall on this issue. I have PDFs that when opened in Illustrator are the correct dimensions from a client. But when I open in Photoshop the size changes, drastically, to the point where a job got printed at the wrong size. So, why does this happen? I have changed the selection tools in the PDF Import Dialog Box, (Bounding, Media, Crop, Bleed, Trim, Art Box) and nothing gives me the correct dimensions. I have changed my preferences to always allow Maximize PSD and PSB file compatibility. No luck yet, I am not sure how the file was created and exported, all I got was a PDF.

Any help?

rfulford

What version of the creative suite are you running?
What size is the Illustrator file an what size does it open to in Photoshop?
At what resolution are you rasterizing your file?
Is the PDF the right size in Acrobat?

dlndesign

CS 5.1 Creative Suite

Illustrator Size: 96" x 113"

Photoshop PDF Import: 96" x 106.6"
DPI: 300 / CMYK

Acrobat Pro: 96" x 113"

dlndesign

I do not know, this seems to be really weird. I can't find anything in the adobe forums other than the same question being asked, but no answers...

dlndesign

OK, I know I can do that as well. But I would like to know the reason, I just can't expect Photoshop to change the size of a file and always have to double check it, it should do this without that extra step.

rfulford

Its the 32000 pixel limit in Photoshop. 106.6"x300 ppi comes out to 31980. If you drop your dpi to 283 it should come out fine. The limit has been there too long. It is still in photoshop CS6 even.. The good news is that there is no such limit on exports for illustrator cs6.

C

ColoPrinthead

Has no one here ever ran into transparency issues with PDFs and been forced to rasterize them? I'm really surprised by all of the questions about opening a PDF in PS. Its not something that anyone likes to do but its something I've had to do to preserve the effects of designs or simply to make complex vector designs a simple image when ganging them up for a run. The artists I work with blend like retards (soooo many steps) and when I expand their effects sometimes it crashes Ai so my work around is is to rasterize with a decent resolution. I realize I haven't seen the same transparency issues in files like I have in the past (drop shadow used to be a big and common one that wasn't always fixed by flattening transparency), but I've had some effects in an Ai file go full retard when rotating for my gangs.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlndesign

:goodpost:
Thank you ColoPrinthead. Exactly my dilemma! But still no answer to why this occurs? Really? I find this hard to believe that no one else has encountered this before.

dlndesign

Yeah, already tried that. Once the PDF dialog is up is doesn't change the size back when you change the dpi. It still keeps it the same.

signswi

Has no one here ever ran into transparency issues with PDFs and been forced to rasterize them? I'm really surprised by all of the questions about opening a PDF in PS. Its not something that anyone likes to do but its something I've had to do to preserve the effects of designs or simply to make complex vector designs a simple image when ganging them up for a run. The artists I work with blend like retards (soooo many steps) and when I expand their effects sometimes it crashes Ai so my work around is is to rasterize with a decent resolution. I realize I haven't seen the same transparency issues in files like I have in the past (drop shadow used to be a big and common one that wasn't always fixed by flattening transparency), but I've had some effects in an Ai file go full retard when rotating for my gangs.

You should be handling those issues with Acrobat Pro, Distiller or Pitstop Pro, not Photoshop. And ganging in AI instead of your RIP software is...nuts.

C

ColoPrinthead

You should be handling those issues with Acrobat Pro, Distiller or Pitstop Pro, not Photoshop. And ganging in AI instead of your RIP software is...nuts.
:cool1:
I have only been using the Onyx 10 cut server 6 months, if there is a way to print multiples and cut them efficiently I have not had the time to find it or look into it. For the stuff I do it's best to have a gang. When I say gang I extend the term to include multiple panels of varying size that are printed and cut in sets. I'm already in Ai when I fix the files I'm given so it's easy to just do it while I have the files open.

signswi

You can either do that with automatic nesting (Placement Setting: Conserve Media, also Setup->Options check Allow Rotate and Best Fit) or you can do it in Layout Tool (which has auto-spacing as well).

We use auto nesting for jobs that aren't too long, for long high-quantity cut jobs we use Layout Tool. Layout Tool is nice because you can set up repeatable, long run jobs and only end up with one cut file in CUT-Server instead of a million doing it manually just through dragging out of Buffered and reprinting with RIP-Queue.

I just like to avoid bringing files into AI for something like preflight or layout reasons, however if you're in a PDF workflow and saving out to PDF (x-1a or x-4) it's not so bad. The problem is most people save out to EPS and EPS isn't an ICC managed file format.

rfulford

Changing the DPI will not reset the size. Once it is wrong it is wrong. When the dialogue opens, first change the resolution to something that does not hit the wall. Next, you change the drop down from the trim or bleed box to another setting then back again.