• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Peachtree or Quickbooks, Which do you prefer?

Capital Signs

I'm in the market to get me some accounting software... Which one do you use and why? What would be the benefits of quickbooks, and what would be the benefits of Peachtree?

Does one outway the other, and why?

Thanks!

Pat Whatley

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Do yourself a favor and ask your accountants which one they prefer. My accounting firm actually sent a guy by to configure Peachtree for me to match up with what they wanted. Submitting records at the end of the month, quarter, and year has been virtually seamless since then.

Browner

I've never heard of Peachtree (maybe I don't get out enough)... but I see a LOT of applications that have specific "import from Quickbooks" or "export to quickbooks"... including my online banking and credit card companies... so that's a timesaver.

Capital Signs

I just hear peachtree is so much more user friendly than quickbooks. That would probably be the sole reason for me. I have quickbooks, but I just have never had the time to sit down and learn it... It may be the time...

signage

I second what Pat says! What ever your accountant recommends is going to be the easiest for you as long as they either set it up or get someone to set it up to interface with them!

D&Tgraphics

I've used both and prefer QB. But definetly ask your accountant what they prefer. I think QB is more campatible with the outside world and has become the standard.

SignBurst PCs

Quickbooks for me... but as stated before, ask your accountant.

Using the software that your accountant is comfortable with will save you headache and $$$ at tax time.

flyinhawaiian968

Wow! Peachtree!!! I haven't heard that name in what must be 15 years at least! I tried setting Peachtree up for the silkscreen shop I worked for back in '91, maybe '92, and it was tedious to say the least!

I think Quickbooks would be a better choice, even though I hate that program with a passion. Seems almost everyone uses it nowadays, and they've made it easier to set up than any of the other programs, plus its accepted by most accountants so filing is a very simple process.

I would agree with the others though and check with your accountant to see what they are comfortable working with.

Chris

Checkers

Another vote to ask your CPA for guidance. It can save you money.
I use QuickBooks and been pleased. Fortunately, I had help setting up the chart of accounts.

Checkers

BrianKE

I haven't tried QB but here is my comparison of Quicken Home & Business and Peachtree. So far I have found PT to offer more of what I am seeking. I think, like most all other competing software packages, the two really don't differ by that much. They both use the 'workflow' layout (buttons arranged in a typical workflow, quote -> sales order -> invoice, etc.). Companies see what works between competing packages and incorporate those things into their own software.

I have tried both Quicken Home & Business 2008 and PT Complete 2009. I am leaning towards PT as I one of the big things that I can do with PT but not with QB is to have a line item for Deposits. I am sure this has to do with the versions that I am using but Quicken H&B and PT Complete are about the same price-wise and I don't care to spend more than $250 for an accounting package. If anyone knows how to do this with QB please let me know!

Another bonus I found yesterday is that PT rep sent an email saying that new user to PT can get the PT Complete 2009 (Single User) for $169 vs the $269 list price.

As for the download of data from banks, etc. PT uses the standard OFX file format, QB's QFX and MS Money format which I believe most any bank supports at least one of these. The one downside to PT that I have found is that I have to manually download the data file from my bank and then import to PT. QHB allowed me to do this through the Update Now function (one button click and password and it is done). PT does support some banks for automatic import, just happens that mine is not on the list.

HTH

GregT

I have used Quickbooks for several years. The accountant recommends that, once it is set up its not to hard to use.

FrankenSigns.biz

You may find that Quick Books is the most intuitive and easiest program to use, right out of the box. Most all accountants support it. Plus, for what this is worth, it's cross platform compatible (Mac / PC).

Capital Signs

Thanks for all of your help! I will do some more studying, and once I talk with my accountant, I will make a final decision. Happy Finances!

cdiesel

We've used Peachtree since we started.. used it in a former business, so we were familiar with it. Our previous accountant also supported it. We switched accountants Jan 1, and they prefer QB, so we're in the process of switching now.
From what I've seen so far, from a useability standpoint, they're very similar. But, getting my Peachtree info to our new QB accounts has been much harder than before.

ChiknNutz

I've been using QuickBooks Pro for about 4 years now and like it pretty well. I like that it is quite mainstream thus has a lot of support.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I just finished peachtree class about a month ago. During the class, professor showed quickbooks as well. (these are peachtree 2007 educational vs quickbook pro 2007). These two software are very identical. Quoted from my professor: "Just quickbook does better marketing doesn't mean quickbook is better than peachtree". The professor is certified by both quickbook and peachtree. I will do the job. Warning: I used 2006 premier and it is like in hexx. You should buy 2008 pro peachtree. This is very user friendly. I bought my copy for $12 shipped. Again, do not buy anything before 2008. They are very hard to use.

Just my 2 cents.