• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Peeling stucco on an aluminum monument

Josh Kuper

i'm quoting refurbishing an old aluminum monument. I'm giving him an option for new routed faces but I didn't know if the side panels can be fixed on site. I haven't ever messed around with stucco finish before

Attachments

• aa14.jpg
    aa14.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 159
  • aa13.jpg
    aa13.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 122

Andy D

It's funny, I just went through something very similar.
I had to apply stucco to an ACM panel that had to match an existing sign & I know I can save you a lot of time, frustration & money.
My Sherwin Williams rep told me to use their "Extreme Bond Primer" primer, apply Quikrete stucco and paint it, that was a huge nope!
I'm sure it was something I did, I had to thin it out to get it to the right texture, but the next day the Quikrete was dry, crumbly & came right off.
So I scrubbed it down to the primer, went and got sand that is made to add to paint (put in more than suggested, a bag into 1/2 gallon), applied the paint pretty thickly and used a rubber float and "stamped" the whole sheet. It turned out great.
I really recommend that extreme bond primer, I scrubbed the hell out of that panel to get that grit off & it didn't scratch at all.

upload_2021-4-13_16-2-41.png

86b80f3f-678c-4d91-9ea0-a8fa54027460_1.6271c18f6e6df45507952f4ac8e22167.jpeg

080047241079.jpg

Andy D

That tiny bag of grit was $8, does anyone use something else?

Edited to say; I re-read what Notarealsignguy said and see you already answered this question... So sand sold in the concrete area?

SignEST

Edited to say; I re-read what Notarealsignguy said and see you already answered this question... So sand sold in the concrete area?
Could always ask for a handful as a sample or something from the bigger yards or pilfer local playgrounds like a cheapo

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

I use sandblast sand when we paint walk areas on machines. Roll on rust-oleum, throw sand, blow it off and roll over the top with another coat of paint. It looks like grip tape. Play sand or mason sand should work, I think it is more course which would give you a more aggressive texture