• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pellet Stoves in the shop?

showcase 66

Yesterday my heater was out in the shop and it is going to be around 800 to fix. This morning I was browsing craigslist and found someone selling a pellet stove with about 400 lbs of pellets for 750. It is only a year old and looks like this one. I personally dont know anyone who has one, so I wanted to know if anyone on here has one or anything good or bad to say about them.

I contacted the guy about it and am going to go look at it in a couple of hours.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Years ago I lived in a (very) small apartment that had a pellet stove for its heat source and I never found it dusty, if that's what you're worried about. I think my current house is dustier with forced air. For small spaces pellet stoves can be toasty, and only use less than a bag a day of pellets. But I never had a large format printer back then either. I don't know how that would work in a shop environment if you have to keep equipment from getting too cold when you're not there.

Steve

cha88

i dont have one in my sign area (natural gas monitor heater) but in the other part of the building my dad uses one... its a large area uses about 1 bag per day they dont produce hardly any dust... only when loading and cleaning them...we use a shop vac after it cools and it cuts down on the dust alot...

signmeup

I've heated my home with one for 15 years. It suplements my in floor heat on colder days. Going on low, it would get 2 days out of a bag of pellets. I've never run it on high. When I got the stove pellets were $2.50 a bag. Now they're $5.00. It's still a cheap way to heat. It'll go for about 10 to 12 hours before I shut it down to remove the ashes. I can only assume the newer stoves work even better. One plus is the chimney for these is pretty cheap. You can go with a "dryer vent" type setup or a short verticle setup. I think they rate at about 90% efficiency.

The in floor heat is by far the best method to heat a building. Mine is electric and I heat it up at night on a time of day discount from the power company. I used a cable from a hog barn and embedded it in the concrete floor slab. The system was $350 (20 years ago). Absolute heaven on the feet! If you ever have in floor heat you'll never go back to any other way.

showcase 66

Just picked it up from the guy. Paid 650 for it and 14 - 40 lb bags. It can hold 3 bags of pellets in the hopper. It is suppose to be able to heat a 2000 sf space and can burn constantly fro up to 80 hours. Maybe a little over kill for my 750 sf shop but then again, maybe I dont have to run it as often and wont have to use so much pellets.

showcase 66

Sweet deal! 750 sq feet eh? You're gonna be warm!

My wife wants to use it in the house instead of the shop. She has been wanting to put a fireplace in the living room. I knew I should have just got it and put it in without telling her. This one might cost me more money than I think I saved after she gets done with all her planning.:banghead:

Patrick46

My wife wants to use it in the house instead of the shop. She has been wanting to put a fireplace in the living room. I knew I should have just got it and put it in without telling her. This one might cost me more money than I think I saved after she gets done with all her planning.:banghead:

Sounds like you haven't been married for too long yet! (heh-heh!) :omg: :doh: :ROFLMAO:

signmeup

You might end up putting it in the house. I have to shut mine down at night unless it's like minus 8 or 10. otherwise it gets too hot. I'm heating 1900 sq feet. You will probably have trouble getting it turned down low enough for your shop. Like I said... I've never had mine on high.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a good deal. However, I think I would take your wife's suggestion and move it into your home. Based upon what your working conditions are..... your insurance might not allow for an open flame in your shop. Even though it's behind glass, it still is considered an open flame and can explode very quickly if you just use the wrong chemical in your shop... especially if you're only 750 sq ft. Open flames are dangerous in most work areas where solvents and other airborne chemicals might exist... especially if you use them in your everyday line of work.

signmeup

Good point Gino. I worry about dust ignition too after I saw what was left when the flour mill blew up.

showcase 66

Good point Gino. Didn't even think of that part. Guess it is going into the house instead. Damn, My wife always wins.:covereyes:

signmeup

Geez. 750 square feet? Arizona? Get a construction heater at Home Depot for 60 bucks and be done with it. That's all I have and I'm in Canada. Bet you've never seen minus 30.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's Okay... let her have it.

Now you can go buy that tool collection you've been eying up...............
tool collection.jpg

showcase 66

Geez. 750 square feet? Arizona? Get a construction heater at Home Depot for 60 bucks and be done with it. That's all I have and I'm in Canada. Bet you've never seen minus 30.

Actually I have been in minus 30. Not in Arizona but When I worked for Goodyear, we did training up in Canada in the plant that ended up being closed due to the opening of the one here. I believe it was in Quebec but cant remember what city. Out of the 6 of us that went in my group, only one other than me have ever been outside AZ and 2 of them have never seen snow. That was fun. Had a lot of fun with one of the guys. He didnt believe me when I told him he needed to cover his ears when we went outside or to cover his mouth at night when it was that cold. He learned quick.

I have a kerosene heater that I dont want in the building and I have a forced air propane heater that puts out 80,000 btus but i dont want that in here either. Plus I was hoping I would save on my utility bills with the pellet stove.

Guess I will just fix the damn heater and be done with it.

Locals Find!

how about just using a couple small efficient space heaters w/ built in fans?

750 sq ft is about the size of my garage and I can get it pretty toasty in there with 2 the space heaters I got from Lowes. We usually only get about 30s here over night a few days out of the year and I found it to make working overnight very pleasant without any insulation in there at all.

OldPaint

i dont have a pellet stove, but i got this in the 2000 sq ft house. in northwest fl we sometimes see night temps in the low 20's, and this will heat the whole house with a few logs. in the shop/garage iam putting this REZNOR 30k, and converting it to LP since running a natural gas line is such a pita nowadays.need to add that for the shop, i will put a outside cold air duct................on the bottom of it. what this does is the air supply for the flame, comes from the air .......OUTSIDE of the shop & if you have any paint or chemical fumes in the shop, the flame doesn't get them to burn and foul the heated air with an ordure. it also has a vent like a chimney for the burnt propane.

Attachments

• firebutt.jpg
    firebutt.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 97
  • reznor.jpg
    reznor.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

showcase 66

how about just using a couple small efficient space heaters w/ built in fans?

750 sq ft is about the size of my garage and I can get it pretty toasty in there with 2 the space heaters I got from Lowes. We usually only get about 30s here over night a few days out of the year and I found it to make working overnight very pleasant without any insulation in there at all.

Where I live in Arizona gets colder than 30 when winter really hits. Usual highs will be in the high 30 to low 40. Nights get into the teens and sometimes single digits. I have a space heater in my office as well as near the cutters. I was just hoping to drop my electric and gas bill down a little this year with the pellet stove. Hopefully having it in the house will keep the house nice and warm and safe me money there.

My wife has already decided where she wants it and wants to go to Home Depot tonight to get some tile to set it on. If she can get the house above 68 degrees she will be happy. I am cheap when it comes to the utilities and try and spend as little as possible.