• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

People are getting edgy lately...

Stacey K

I like making signs
Has anyone else noticed people are getting increasing bold in stating their minds in public? 3 instances in the last month of men "going off" at me in public. This has NEVER happened to me before.

1. At Walmart my sons and I were confronted by a man who yelled at us for screwing around with the shopping cart. Got a lecture on how we are disrespectful little brats and my kids are horrible (18 and 15 and 46 LOL) We stood there in disbelief and walked away. (it was me that started the cart pushing, just joking around and having fun)
2. I was forced to leave the gas station Saturday because a man began relentlessly harassing me because I forgot my mask. I figured I better leave, so I did, after I waited for 3 customers to check out there was still 2 in line. I couldn't take it anymore and it was actually scary! I told him to shut up and leave me alone several times, he just would not!
3. Just asked gas station owner if he would fill my propane tank as the station down the road (who is now owned by Indians) couldn't figure it out. He went off on how he's American, he pays taxes, etc and was that enough to get my business?

My Dad would NEVER EVER have raised his voice to a woman. NEVER.

People are going crazy. I think it might get worse before it gets better.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm pretty sure it's the fluoride in the water.
They don't add it out here so we are pretty laid back, but have rotten teeth.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Funny you should bring this up. It's an ever on-going kinda thing. All people go through it, from hippies, to females to black people to people in uniform. It's just something that comes with every generation. They need something to b!tch/gripe about. However, these two last elections and now put the pandemic into the pot and ya have a whole buncha pent up people p!ssed at anyone who isn't following the rules..... or their beliefs. We were all sitting around the fire Saturday night at a big get together. No one had masks and we were of different political parties, but we all agreed that this whole thing is getting outta hand. It seems those who wear a mask here & there get bent outta shape if they see someone not wearing one and then feel violated cause they've been sacrificing but you aren't. However, ya see the high politicians not wearing and lotsa other people who CLAIM they're righteous and people considerate. It'll never stop, so just smile, move on and unless they raise a gun and aim at ya, just be faster on the trigger than they are........ )))))

Johnny Best

Wisconsin is having an uptick on Covid cases. People start to get scared about the future. Kind of like the spring deer never being able to eat or relax because it always has his head up to look for danger. Most of those people are harmless and know they can get away with yelling at women. They get use to voicing their opinions on the internet and when they go in public it carries over.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Wisconsin is having an uptick on Covid cases. People start to get scared about the future. Kind of like the spring deer never being able to eat or relax because it always has his head up to look for danger. Most of those people are harmless and know they can get away with yelling at women. They get use to voicing their opinions on the internet and when they go in public it carries over.
I totally agree with this. I also wonder if wearing a mask, which somewhat hides your identity, plays a part in boosting self confidence.

Johnny Best

Sure, just like in the cowboy movies with the guys with masks hold up the stagecoach. They get real mean.
When I put on my mask before entering a business I feel like I am going in to rob them.

Reveal1

Do you think that the C-in-C has contributed to the general lack of civility?
For the thin-skinned maybe. But actual deeds like 'mostly peaceful' protests, point blank murders, looting, riots, illegal court orders and legal harassment from the entrenched bureaucracy, censoring news and dissenting opinions, forcing businesses to close or operate at a loss, locking down low risk populations, closing schools, throwing Covid patients in nursing homes etc might have something to do with it.

MikePro

virtue signaling is trendy nowadays. Much easier to join the mob in shaming others, than live in fear of the mob turning on you instead.
...and yeah, the mask is definitely an amplifier. between protests, rallies, covid, & swinger parties... you'll definitely notice its the people wearing masks who take their commentary to the extremes.

AMGearhart

I think the anonymity of masks does add a level to jerk behavior. It does help cover up people's expressions. It's harder to tell when someone is joking. It's harder to tell who the crazy is that you should avoid. It's like being on the internet, but in real life, in a way. A-holes & trolls will always try and take advantage of anonymity if they can. Too much of a coward to own up to their actions under normal circumstances.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
How would a mask provide anonymity? Sorry but I have to disagree here. I can see the lack of non-verbal expressions playing into people misreading intentions but mask bravado is a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: JCP

Stacey K

I like making signs
I might be a little sensitive and sick of having to defend myself - our little school had some problems with a few boys on our football team snap chatting some racists comments about a black player. The kids were suspended from some games as the black kid had also made remarks so it wasn't all them - but nothing was said about that. However, the mother of the black child posted all the chats on FB including all the minors names "to raise awareness to racism and not let it die". The post was reposted 100's of times. My son was not involved. Someone contacted the NAACP and BLM. People wanted those kids and the parents TO PAY and the ENTIRE football team TO PAY and the entire school district TO PAY. Some of the comments by people were threatening and really terrible considering the kids are minors. Nothing more came of it and it died down after a couple weeks.

The mother who posted was fired from her position with the school system, I'm assuming it was because of a confidentiality agreement she likely signed upon being hired. A few weeks later her daughter was arrested for stealing Trump signs in town. A wise man once told me..."Never say bad things about other peoples kids until you know you've raised yours to be perfect". Karma.

jochwat

Graphics Department
The reason people are on edge, and acting out, and getting belligerent, and violent, and accusatory, and hateful, is because of...
...all of the reasons expressed in the previous messages in this thread.

I'm going to guess that most, if not all of you, have done something out of character by this point. I know I sure have. It spills out. Not even the most rational human being can help it. And those irrational ones, well, I think they use the world's goings-on as an excuse to act on things they might not normally do. We're not all doing well. We're exhausted, stressed out, oversaturated with negative information, sick of the fighting, sick of the news...

It's concerning. And I don't think it's anywhere near subsiding.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I might be a little sensitive and sick of having to defend myself - our little school had some problems with a few boys on our football team snap chatting some racists comments about a black player. The kids were suspended from some games as the black kid had also made remarks so it wasn't all them - but nothing was said about that. However, the mother of the black child posted all the chats on FB including all the minors names "to raise awareness to racism and not let it die". The post was reposted 100's of times. My son was not involved. Someone contacted the NAACP and BLM. People wanted those kids and the parents TO PAY and the ENTIRE football team TO PAY and the entire school district TO PAY. Some of the comments by people were threatening and really terrible considering the kids are minors. Nothing more came of it and it died down after a couple weeks.

The mother who posted was fired from her position with the school system, I'm assuming it was because of a confidentiality agreement she likely signed upon being hired. A few weeks later her daughter was arrested for stealing Trump signs in town. A wise man once told me..."Never say bad things about other peoples kids until you know you've raised yours to be perfect". Karma.
The parents are as bad as the children, if not worse. Facebook has let out the petty, immature inner teenager in many adults and they wonder why kids are a mess today. I swear if social media would just go away, half of this country's problems would vanish overnight.

Reveal1

The parents are as bad as the children, if not worse. Facebook has let out the petty, immature inner teenager in many adults and they wonder why kids are a mess today. I swear if social media would just go away, half of this country's problems would vanish overnight.
Yes, if only. I've always embraced technology but would happily revert to the old days of personal interaction. Despite the advances in lifestyle, communication, efficiency from the web; to me it's not a net gain. Getting old and wistful for the eighties.

Johnny Best

So I had to go to the Post Office this morning and go inside to get a letter postmarked. As I was pulling up a old man in a brand new Mercedes was taking his sweet a$$ time pulling in his parking space. I parked, got out and proceeded to go in while I put my mask on. Noticed that the old man (he was probably my age) was not wearing a mask. The black girl behind the counter started to yell at him about not having a mask on. He mumbled something, dropped his letter off and proceeded to walk out. As he went through the door another woman told him he needed a mask, he mumbled something else and the woman yelled fu** you to him. I meantime was next in line and got today's postmark on my letter. I thought the whole thing amusing and was glad to see the old guy get what he deserved.
Without the mask mandate the old man just breezes through life without catching any crap from people he has no regard for. Probably a retired lawyer.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I totally agree with this. I also wonder if wearing a mask, which somewhat hides your identity, plays a part in boosting self confidence.
Yes this is part of it. Kind of like the "keyboard warrior" mentality. "You can't see me (except for my eyes) so I can be as rude and disrespectful as I want". I've seen it lately as well.

John Miller

I'm sure I'll make some people unhappy, sorry, but I'll say it anyway. When our president sets an example of constant name calling he sets the bar for others, especially our younger generation. When he is disrespectful and a bully to anyone who doesn't agree with him, people will follow that behavior.