• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Per diem for out of state work? Semi trailer wraps

jpsamuel06

I was asked by my employer if I would travel out of state to do some semi trailer wraps. The location is roughly 6 hours away, and we would be staying in a hotel for approx. 10 days. We would print the wraps in house, and take everything down with us. The business owner would be paying for the hotel ahead of time, and we would be getting a pre paid credit card to pay for fuel. Im on board with going, but told him a per diem would be required and would be working at least 10 hour days since IMO, 40 hour work weeks would not be worth me leaving my family for. This is the first time we have bid a job out of state like this. What is a reasonable amount to ask for, per day? Like I said, fuel and hotel is paid for ahead of time, so it is basically covering food and daily essentials. I don't want to ask for a lot, but I want enough where I'm not eating fast food for a week straight. We would be working in Ohio somewhere if that helps. Any info would be appreciated. This could possibly be a reoccurring thing as they have many trailers to be wrapped, and we would only be doing 2 at a time.

Thanks in advance!

blufftonsignguy

This topic throws up numerous questions for me. Are you traveling in a company vehicle? Are they paying for travel time? Why would they not pay for meals as they are requiring you to travel? I believe your state has allowances for things like this that can be deducted on tax returns. I would use the same deductions as a per diem.

printhog

find out your states overtime laws and those for where you're going.. pay and wage standards must be in accordance with the highest of the two..

State Minimum Wage and Overtime Laws - FindLaw

michigan [FONT=&quot] Most hourly employees in the Michigan are entitled to a special overtime pay rate for any hours worked over a total of 40 in a single work week (defined as any seven consecutive work days by the Fair Labor Standards Act).[/FONT]

Ohio- [FONT=&quot]Ohio follows the Federal law. Overtime pay of time and a half is required for all non-exempt Ohio employees for hours worked over 40 during a workweek. [/FONT]

Cant speak to your states laws, but in California it is within the employers right to make you report to work at any location they see fit for a regular workday, including out of state, so long as travel expenses are covered in full as well as lodging.

Meals are not covered, you gotta eat no matter where you are.

Travel time ost everywhere is during regular work hours.. Travel outside those hours may be overtime.

We used to send crews to the east coast weekly to wrap hotel shuttles, and we paid a sizeable bonus (usually $300) at the end of each trip for the hassles.
We covered all costs for the trip and crews were required to bring back all receipts.

the per diem schedule mentioned earlier is for all your lodging expenses.. if your boss is paying its no help..

given the time of year, i dont see how you can get 10 hours a day of work in with sunlight.. but if so, you'll want overtime on anything over 8hrs daily and over 40 hours total - I pay double time for sat sun or crews come home for the weekend.

Pre plan your work schedule with your boss in writing. Include weather and client caused delays, these happen more than you can think.. I once lost two entire days to thunderstorms in chicago and three days to a client in miami not making the vehicles available. I paid my crew to sit those out.

I also paid overtime for ALL time to catch up from those delays, and of course anything over 40hrs/week on the job. We worked 10 hr days, 8 was straight pay, 2 was OT, so friday was full OT. This is important, you dont want to make your regular workday a 10 hour day, it might stick when you get home.. if the job goes back-to-back over a weekend you'll also want double time for SAT and SUN.. that is outside normal work requirements.

Since your boss is paying all the costs to go, the labor dept sees that as working at the shop.. (the boss doesnt pay for your dinner and breakfast now, so he doesnt have to when youre out of town) ...He has to pay for out of pocket work related expenses though .

Id recommend you ask for a bonus.. its a nice reward for being away from family..

PRO TIPS:

1. get a free time tracker app like Toggl (toggl.com) for your phone, and use it to track the tasks on the job for him. this will prevent any arguments over you not clocking in. it will also give him detailed time records for bidding future work. this can help you if he decides to not pay for overtime and you gotta get mean about it.
  2. take extra materials
  3. budget 20% extra time for setup, weather, and local issues.
  4. If you're driving there and taking rigging with you, then a way to lock that up at the hotel is needed.
  5. take your tools inside at night - ripping off work trucks is de facto standard at motels everywhere..
  6. If going by plane - pre-ship the decals and tools to the client to avoid the hassle at the airport with the large boxes. Airlines will ruin your graphics and steal your tools if given the chance. and you cant ship things like alcohol and chemicals by air.
  7. Confirm the client has the graphics before departing, and have staff back at your shop to handle any losses or remakes you might need.

good luck and have fun.. we used to ask the hotel staff where to find the best little restaurants.. it was a reward for a long day, and beat KFC and McD's.

jfiscus

Rap Master
How many guys are going on this trip? 10 days sounds like a LOT of trailers.
We send guys out of state SOMETIMES on outings like this, but a lot of the time it is more cost-effective to hire a closer install company. And, your installers aren't tied up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it's two trailers? Why 10 days? One guy should be able to do a trailer in 2 days. Take a helper, and easily within 2 days per trailer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it's two trailers? Why 10 days? One guy should be able to do a trailer in 2 days. Take a helper, and easily within 2 days per trailer.

I didn't notice this the first time around.

We have a very good customer that has us do quite a bit of work in many areas, but we daren't touch their trucks. The trailers are full wraps and they have a team [of two] come down from Canada, who specializes in just wrapping tractors and trailers. The two guys can wrap two full trailers in one day. They schedule them out and will do maybe a dozen trucks in a week.