• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Percentage Mark Ups

bannertime

Don't think you'll get a lot of people to talk about margins or operating cost in the public areas. Not that there is a lot of talk about it in the premium area either.

rossmosh

Rule of thumb is 100-200% on materials + time x shop rate. Shop rate varies heavily but most try to make between $85-125/hr.

Broome Signs

calculate the years running costs
add the amount cash you want to make a year
devide by the amount days you want to work a year devide that by 6 and you have your houerly rate
add on material costs + say 40% and bingo, thats the base cost of the job cost

mike franklin

Rule of thumb is 100-200% on materials + time x shop rate. Shop rate varies heavily but most try to make between $85-125/hr.
Do you make your own channel letters? we used to but now I am getting them from sign fab. That's what I was wondering the most about, what people are marking that sort of stuff up.

Reveal1

Do you make your own channel letters? we used to but now I am getting them from sign fab. That's what I was wondering the most about, what people are marking that sort of stuff up.
To answer your question regarding outsourced products, we usually shoot for 35% - 50% Gross Margin on outsourced products depending on market competitiveness, risk, and size of order. (Gross Margin is the % of the sell price that is profit vs. markup which is a percentage of cost that is added to a job) IMHO forget the term 'markup' because your financial statement will ultimately show your gross margin $ and % and you should set up separate accounts for outsourced goods to track them. To determine gross margin, simply divide the cost by the inverse of the percentage desired. For example, to achieve 45% GM on a $100 cost, divide 100 by .55 which is $181.82.

Whole different ballgame if looking at production cost of goods sold - then you need to add overhead, shop rate etc. such as RossMosh suggested.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Typically a 40% margin for buyouts. On certain projects I may go as low as 20%, but they usually include up-front payment arrangements, warranty agreements, and service contracts (for example, LED displays). I maintain a 40% margin on materials too, but I am careful to add value for inventory costs and other costs associated with purchasing, receiving, storage, and handling.