• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perf and or cut through issues. Jagged paper. What knife is best 45 or 60 degree.

blacknbart

I've been cutting quite a bit of decals and the edges are rough and slightly jagged. I've change the blade to an brand new one and I still get the jagged edge. I've been using Oracal Orajet 3651 and 3641 and I get the same result on both. Can this be a issue with the liner make up. The Oracal 3651 is a 90lb PE-Coated silicone paper and the 3641 is a 83 lb silicone paper. Also I was thinking of trying a 60 degree blade instead of a 45 degree blade to see if I get a better result. I will start trying other material options but until then what do you think?

blacknbart

Pictures of my issue

Here's two pictures of what I'm experiencing.

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 175
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 182

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's the nature of the beast when using these tiny blades to cut paper. You need a really fine point like a 60 degree that is super sharp for clean cuts.

graphicwarning

I haven't used a Graphtec, however on my Roland I have found when doing the perf cut, that I experience this when I've got my cutting speed set too fast. If I slow it down (and use a 60 degree blade) it cuts much smoother. Perf cut is great, but I find you have to test and tweak each material type to get the best results because each one cuts differently.

mopar691

Best I have used is a 45 deg CB15. The CB09 does not last very long and the cutting edge itself is much to small. 60 deg blades tend to destroy themselves fairly quickly also. I hang the blade out quite a ways. to the point almost the three quarters of the edge is out of the holder.

I perf cut alot. almost daily. And cause of that I buy about 5 blades from Ross every two months or sooner just for this.

mopar691

Also I do 2 cuts when doing the Perf cutting. 1st a reg CC then about .050 to .100 out I do the perf cut.