• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perf vinyl over third brake light

showcase 66

I had a guy stop me in the grocery parking lot today to ask me about doing the back glass of his car in perf with his logo and a design he has already done. We got to talking about it and then said he wanted it done right so he wont get in trouble with it while driving. He said he was a retired police officer from California and he knew he couldn't cover the third brake light.

Never really thought of it before. As far as I know, there was no law against it. but then again when I did window tinting at the glass shop, we couldn't cover a third brake light with limo tint.

I have done personal cars for police officers around here and have covered there light. Nobody said anything then.

Does anyone know if using the perf requires the brake light to be fully exposed?

Thanks
BJ

BadAss

Most states are the same, and the third brake light in a window is a courtesy and is not legally required...M*

showcase 66

I believe back in the 80s it was required to start putting them on vehicles. A federal mandate. That being said, I dont think it would be a courtesy. I have gotten a fix it ticket for having my light out before.

BadAss

My brothers are 25 year vets in Sherrifs Dept, both say not required. However if they are on the vehicle they are suppose to be working. If it still illuminates through the perf it is not considered a violation... (But then again, they are my brothers and I have always doubted them... HA) M*

TimberSign

Check with your state and city laws regarding brake lights. Here in Ontario the law requires any vehicle to have only one operating rear brake light.

FS-Keith

I ussually make a template of the brake light then trace and cut it from the perf after it is installed. Ussually takes me about 15 mins max

buttons

TIMBERSIGN:are you serious? I'm from Ontario and never thought of that. 3 brake lights should always be working LOL

I'm from Ontario as well and I'm pretty sure it's both taillights that need to be working.

Edit: Just asked co-workers bf who is a cop and he says you only need one. That is pretty weird.

Last edited:

showcase 66

My wife just called me to tell me she was just pulled over for her third brake light being out. I just changed it a couple weeks ago but if the sun is behind you, you can see it. My back glass on the durango is tinted really dark so it is hard to see. She was given a written warning for driving with a faulty brake light and a fix it ticket.