• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

perfect circle on cylinder

Andy_warp

The issue IS perspective. Here I flowed concentric circles on the flattened surfaces on the left. The right I projected the circles onto the surfaces...(from only one vantage point)

IMO, modeling the problem is going to solve real world problems BEFORE you start cutting stuff up.

You can account for perspective by setting up viewing distances, angle of view, and height of "viewpoint"
It will give you a rough idea, which is better than the spaghetti test.

Rhino has a tool to "unwrap" the curves from your model surface...and can go right to Illustrator with vector artwork.

Cad is the tool!

Attachments

• rhino2.jpg
    rhino2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183

Andy_warp

Check THIS one out!
The flattened dielines self intersect because the whole helix structure has a twist too!
My brain hurt for a few days after this!

Attachments

• helix.jpg
    helix.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 177

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks JB!

As a former vocational trades (precision machining) instructor and tool and die maker, I spend a considerable amount of time watching current trends in manufacturing. Most notably, I've been observant about what attracts a person to a certain type of work.

The stuff you're doing is certainly attractive, and I would imagine you've got a line of people a mile long waiting to get in the door...especially the younger generation with savvy creative skills.

JB

Andy_warp

As a former vocational trades (precision machining) instructor and tool and die maker, I spend a considerable amount of time watching current trends in manufacturing. Most notably, I've been observant about what attracts a person to a certain type of work.

The stuff you're doing is certainly attractive, and I would imagine you've got a line of people a mile long waiting to get in the door...especially the younger generation with savvy creative skills.

JB
We get a bunch of unqualified applicants for sure! I have been printing for 20 years, been a printer tech, blueprinter, cabinet maker, exhibit design conceptual artist, detailer, residential engineering tech...
Could not do my job without foundational knowledge I've learned form all of these disciplines. I was lucky to get in to printing BEFORE digital took over. I noticed drafters and "graphics" people were always butting heads...so I taught myself both! Here's some renders I did at my previous workplace...

I think 3d printing is the next biggest deal! Some really cool stuff going on with parametric design/robotics. I have toyed with grasshopper for rhino a little...just google search some of the stuff people are turning out!

Attachments

• 4586_Sage Summit 2012_porfolio.jpg
    4586_Sage Summit 2012_porfolio.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • Standard Textiles_001.jpg
    Standard Textiles_001.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Steelhead_008.jpg
    Steelhead_008.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Gracenote_009.jpg
    Gracenote_009.jpg