• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perfect Laminating Finish?

dweavers

I have one of the hand wound laminators that I have been using for some time but it just doesnt seem to apply enough pressure when laminating and has a speckal look and have to go over it by hand to end up with a satisfactory finish, i have the rollers down as hard as they will go, is there something else I can do to end up with the perfect finish? Using Oraguard 210

Attachments

• laminator.jpg
    laminator.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 210

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a similar one and I was applying way too much pressure and rolling too fast - looked like crap. Try less pressure and go very slow to slow. If I let the print sit over night the next morning they look perfect. I have the 52" one and if I apply too much pressure then the middle of the rollers seem to warp. I use 8915 and then some calendared for inside stuff. The 8915 is tough to make look perfect if the rollers aren't set exactly correct.

TateM

I had the exact same problem with 210 on the hand laminator. Changed nothing except the material to 290 and it's been flawless.

96XP

Late reply here.
Am using a Royal Sovereign, however many years back, I had a generic model which left much silvering in the laminate. Same issue, not enough pressure.
My solution at that time was to introduce heat - and made a light rack which overhung the print - just before it passed through.
Had 3x quartz lamps attached to it. Wasn't pretty either, but made the prints look great.
In fact, used that same light rack in the shop for some cold weather applications on snowmobiles.

Patentagosse

I'm a long time Oracal user and to get perfect finish right out of the laminator, the best laminate is 290GF - 297GF. Why? because they come on synthetic liner. Whatever the brand, most of the high-end cast laminate are released on synthetic liner because it gives wet look right off the rollers.
Now I've switched to 3M 8518 and will never look back. 8518 is even better for clarity, doesn't shift the color (in fact, it enhances it!) and the gloss level is even better. The silvering is 210 desappears after 24-48h