• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perforated Cutting on FC8600: What are Tool1 and Tool3?

Lindquist

We just purchased a Graphtec FC8600-130. I've figured out the basics of operating the machine, but now I'm trying to learn something a little bit more advanced. I'm trying to use the perforated cutting ability to cut through the backing of the vinyl (an advertised feature of the machine).

Changing all of the settings was simple, but I became confused reading the warnings that are listed with the instructions in the user manual.

It says:

" - Use TOOL3 for the cut with perforated lines (other than OFF).

- Do not use TOOL1 for the cutting out with perforated lines, instead of normal film cut (half cutting), because it will affect normal cutting by
making scratches on the cutting mat.

- Replacement of the cutting mat will be with charge if it is damaged by performing perforated cut using the TOOL1."

And my question is: What is Tool1 and Tool3? They aren't mentioned anywhere else; I have no idea what it means.

Tool 1 is a position on the carriage into which the blade holder can be placed. It is the more commonly used position when not cutting completely through the media. It places the knife on the flat part of the cutter protection strip.

Tool 3 is the forward position for the blade holder, and it positions the knife over the cavity, to allow the knife to completely cut through without encountering the cutter protection strip.

Attachments

• Tool Positions.jpg
    Tool Positions.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 118

Lindquist

Thank you for clarifying.

How do you change the position? The blade holder doesn't seem to move. Is this a setting on the computer, or physical piece I need to adjust?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks again.

There is a thumbscrew at the front of the assembly. Back that thumbscrew off almost all of the way, and then pull it toward the front on the machine. You should then be able to physically lift up on the blade holder assembly and lift it out of it's position, and then drop it back into the other position (back=1 and front=3). Re-tighten the thumbscrew after re-positioning the blade holder.

303DC

Bump. On this note, does anything need to be adjusted on the cutter? How far does the blade need to protrude from the holder? Anything special needed to set up in Flexi? I can't get a clean cut for the life of me.