Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perforated Window Material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by T-Square_WPB, Nov 9, 2010.

1. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Installed a 30"x40" sunset graphic on 60/30 3M window perf. It is installed at a car dealership inside, on an office window. The office has a large bay window and the walls are 10' high without a ceiling. Problem is the image appears "washed out". We did another office window with the same material with a graphic of a bridge and skyline. No issue here.

It's just puzzling that one looks great and one is washed out. Since there is more light inside that office than out should it have been 50/50 material? Could the orange color of the sunset be part of the reason? Thanks in advance for responses!

Tags:
  2. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    My guess would be 2 different images will look like 2 different images but can you post pictures so we can see what you mean?

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

With perf, if the ambient light on the back side of the graphic is brighter than the ambient light on the viewing side, the image will be washed out. Perf requires that th elight on the viewing side be brighter than the back side, otherwise your eye focuses on the light coming through the holes rather than the graphic printed around the holes.

I can't completely tell if that's what you're describing but I'd guess it is. It can be hard to tell if you're going to have this problem with interior windows because sometimes both sides look evenly lit, but even even lighting on both sides can cause it. The light has to be significantly brighter on the viewing side.

4. dwt

dwt Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Turn down the offending lights as said and/or tint the glass to keep it from bleeding through.

5. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Here's a pic of the washed out image. And what the image should look like.

Tinting the window sounds like a good idea. But how dark would we want to go? Would that effect viewing out the window from the inside drastically?

Attached Files:

6. dwt

dwt Member

Feb 5, 2010
    So is it 60/40 or 70/30? If it's 70/30 there is not a whole lot of printed area to reflect the color.
    Did you try to double strike a piece of it to see if it was any more vibrant than what you have here?

It wouldn't be too drastic if you used a 30% (light)charcoal, maybe even a 20%(slightly darker) would be acceptable with the amount of light in the area, but nothing darker.
    I would even go as far as to pull one of the bulbs inside the office to lessen the light coming through.

7. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Sorry, 60/40. We considered removing, increasing the density of the image and reprinting. I like the idea of the tint better!

8. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    If we get this in certain applications we will double strike it to lay down a bit more ink. It is a hard application that you are dealing with, with that much light behind the image.

How about laying down etched glass vinyl on the back side of that window to give it some underbase? Wouldn't be see thru but would help. I guess tint makes the most sense though.

Thanks,
    Kurt

9. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Isn't the 70% the surface area, and the 30% is the holes?
    I know on the 65/35 that I have is more surface area to less "hole" area.

10. dlpoling

dlpoling New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Perf

Tint on the glass helps, but washout is a common problem for perf on interior windows, no matter what the perf/hole size. most of the time the room lighting is almost equal. I just installed around 400 feet of perf in a dealership but they were aware of the ambient light requirements. check out the pics in my album.

Doug